• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transfering algae to new tank when using filter gunk from old

LadyDay

Hi guys.

I have just started a new aquarium 5 weeks ago and have developed a Nitrite problem, which is bad because, long story short, I added fish a week ago, thinking the tank was done cycling (Initial Nitride spike had subsided, so now it has returned). Anyway, to remedy the problem and help the tank cycle I am considering taking gunk from the filter in my old aquarium and adding it to the filter in the new. However, I am hesitant because the old tank is badly infested with BBA. I am worried about infecting the new tank with BBA, which is super hard to get rid of again. Should I be concerned? Or can I safely go ahead and use the filter media?

What is the volume of the tank, how many and what kind of fish have you added, if the tank has already completed the cycle it might be a case of the bacteria building up to compensate for the added fish load?
Is changing 50 - 60% of the water once or twice daily out of the question?

BBA is ubiquitous and will already be in your tank, even if they’re not visible. While I would say yes, you’re probably going to introduce more BBA spores; your two tanks are very different from one another and we can’t say for certain that BBA will thrive in both. For the health of your fish, I’d take a sponge from your other tank 👍

What is the volume of the tank, how many and what kind of fish have you added, if the tank has already completed the cycle it might be a case of the bacteria building up to compensate for the added fish load?
Is changing 50 - 60% of the water once or twice daily out of the question?
It's an 80 liter tank. It has two Lyretail Killi and now 4 Microdevario kubotai (down from the 11 I put in Saturday. The two young Killi have been in for a week now). I am already changing that much water twice per day. Using used filter media would be in addition to lots of big water changes, not to replace it.
My boyfriend also just pointed out that I could potentially transfer Assassin Snail eggs, which I also don't want in the new tank. So if it's not needed to use the old filter sponge I won't. However, I really want to protect my fish to the best of my ability!

BBA is ubiquitous and will already be in your tank, even if they’re not visible. While I would say yes, you’re probably going to introduce more BBA spores; your two tanks are very different from one another and we can’t say for certain that BBA will thrive in both. For the health of your fish, I’d take a sponge from your other tank 👍
The health of the fish is first priority!

Back