• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Too much filtration?

But taking it to another level gilhams in thialand has some of the largest Freashwater fish in the world Arapaimia to 560lB for you to catch and return OFC no water changes going on there unless it rains OFC. They do top it up from the local river from time to time. They do run aerators all day and night OFC.

I guess I could switch it off for a month or so and see what (if anything) happens...
The predicability you wont notice a difference is highest.. :)

To be honnest i've tried one, just because against beter judgement i still was curious.. Accidently constructed my sumps piping idealy to fit a UV tube light 24mm x 300mm in the excisting sumps 32mm x 30mm tubing. So i bought one, 3 x over powered according its specs vs the tank volume, to be sure at least theoriticaly it is strong enough. Installed it in the sumps tubing where it's constantly submersed in the flow. So the water has a 3mm gap over a lenght of 30cm in 360° over the UV tube to pass before it ends up in the sump. With approximately 2 to 3 times turn over. The tank ran over a year without it.. Now it's running over 6 months with a UV light installed. I do not notice anything beneficial, nor anything negative regarding micro fert deficiencies.. Can't tell what it does or if it does anything, but consume power. Only thing i have is my believe, which was always sceptic to begin with. :)

As said, i made it because accidentily created the ideal situation. Else i wouldn't even got the idea i guess.. Any extra experience is one more to add, it wasn't that expensive and worth a try from a experience (also constructional) perspective and maybe proof myself wrong. Tho yet still waiting for that wonder or deficiency to happen.. ;)

Last edited:
Back