• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Too much fertilizer.

Hiya Mate, E.I is designed to be non limiting but is worked out over 3x3 day splits, I believe that is so the PO4 doesn't react with the Iron in the traces. Either way the "non limiting" part of it is focused around for N and K (the main things plants consume) being Max 3ppm per day. So if you'll excuse the assumptions for a minute if you were changing the water every few days and at times every two days using tap water which may or may not have nitrate in so we'll assume it hasn't your dose would only have raised the TDS by 3ppm. You tend to find most chemical test kits aren't going to be able to differentiate the small changes in these values, at best I would say you could maybe see a difference in colour if there was a 10ppm change. Also if you're changing water that often and using de-chlorinator I believe these also affect nitrate tests so I wouldn't be given the test too much credence.

I would suggest that you could infer from the test results that the Osmo isn't causing much of a problem if at all. You're right in saying that the PH test would be more accurate than the DC as the PH drop would be closer to real time. Maybe these Glute products might be bothering the fauna, back in the day when I used to DIY them I noticed my corys would sit lifeless at the bottom of the tank just after dosing and only become more active later on in the evening although that could have been oxygen related as the plants were growing through the lighting period.

My personal opinion of your tank based on the pictures is that it's not that densely planted and the plants look like they're just starting to settle in to their new environment. It certainly doesn't look like the type of tank that would be consuming large amounts of ferts just yet. I think you might have put your finger on it when you said
The tank was scaped on the 19th Feb although I had the plants in a bare tank for 3 or 4 weeks before that and some were not looking that great after that.
Nothing happens fast in the world of planted tanks especially when the plants originally were in poor health. It may take a couple of months before before they flourish again. I would just keep doing what you are doing and keep it consistent, ignore the osmo for now. I think the plants just need to settle, repair and fatten back up.

Hiya Mate, E.I is designed to be non limiting but is worked out over 3x3 day splits, I believe that is so the PO4 doesn't react with the Iron in the traces. Either way the "non limiting" part of it is focused around for N and K (the main things plants consume) being Max 3ppm per day. So if you'll excuse the assumptions for a minute if you were changing the water every few days and at times every two days using tap water which may or may not have nitrate in so we'll assume it hasn't your dose would only have raised the TDS by 3ppm. You tend to find most chemical test kits aren't going to be able to differentiate the small changes in these values, at best I would say you could maybe see a difference in colour if there was a 10ppm change. Also if you're changing water that often and using de-chlorinator I believe these also affect nitrate tests so I wouldn't be given the test too much credence.

I would suggest that you could infer from the test results that the Osmo isn't causing much of a problem if at all. You're right in saying that the PH test would be more accurate than the DC as the PH drop would be closer to real time. Maybe these Glute products might be bothering the fauna, back in the day when I used to DIY them I noticed my corys would sit lifeless at the bottom of the tank just after dosing and only become more active later on in the evening although that could have been oxygen related as the plants were growing through the lighting period.

My personal opinion of your tank based on the pictures is that it's not that densely planted and the plants look like they're just starting to settle in to their new environment. It certainly doesn't look like the type of tank that would be consuming large amounts of ferts just yet. I think you might have put your finger on it when you said

Nothing happens fast in the world of planted tanks especially when the plants originally were in poor health. It may take a couple of months before before they flourish again. I would just keep doing what you are doing and keep it consistent, ignore the osmo for now. I think the plants just need to settle, repair and fatten back up.
Thanks for the in-depth reply! I really appreciate all the advice.

My tank definitely isn’t as grown in as I would have liked, which has not been helped by me binning some plants that weren’t looking healthy. I think you are right, as some of my plants are coming round after a long period of looking on the verge of death. I just got obsessed with the osmo being the cause as quite a few plants would not put down roots or the tiny roots they had would turn brown and rot. Things do seem on the turn now though. For what it's worth my local has 16.59 mg/l of nitrate in it.

I will keep trying to improve the flow/CO2 and will be a bit more patient. I am toying with putting another filter intake in so there is one in each corner to balance it out.

If you were knocking up your own glute mixture you obviously know your stuff. What is your view on it, please? Some people seem to think Excel is a bit gentler to the fauna? Do you know if anyone has done a side by side comparison with that and a cheaper non big branded glute? I stopped using the Aqua C ebay stuff about a week ago and think there has been an increase in stag horn and long green hair algae. I am tempted to use some again would definitely get some Excel if it is better for the critters.

Thanks again!!
Dave

If you were knocking up your own glute mixture you obviously know your stuff.
Not really mate, UKAPS went through a phase a few years back where, as they always do, worked out the ingredients of Excel which was Glute based. From there it was just a case of buying the glute and watering it down until it was at the same ratio as was in the liquid carbon products. I bought myself a ltr of it at the time but I believe these days it is harder to get hold of. It was used for sterilising equipment but I think they don't use it much any more because of the side effects it can cause.
Since then I have found out that excel is a slightly different chemical makeup, I think it is "polymerised" whatever that means! My opinions on it, I'm not that sure if I'm honest which is why I don't really use it that much or plan a tank around its use. I hear different things from different people and all these people know what they are talking about.
As an algaecide to spot treat or bail you out of an algae issue I would still use it if needed, the only time I do use it is on WC change day at the recommended excel dose and usually just on a particular area where I can see algae just starting to get a hold. Most times that's just on a bit of in tank equipment because I can't be bothered getting it out to give it a scrub :)

I don't use co2 injection these days because I haven't the time for the Faffing and maintenance that goes hand in glove with these high energy systems. If I had the time I would use gas instead of liquid carbon products although I've no doubt if I did I'd be reaching for the glute again at some point to bail me out. I would keep using it in your case then maybe gradually wean the tank back off it, every little helps. I would say 90% of the issues I see in this forum are caused by tired plants through either them being grown out of water or through transport being put in an immature tank and the kitchen sink threw at them with lighting, co2 and ferts. Once the plants grow in a bit and get healthy the tank tends to look after itself. All they want is enough of everything.

Not really mate, UKAPS went through a phase a few years back where, as they always do, worked out the ingredients of Excel which was Glute based. From there it was just a case of buying the glute and watering it down until it was at the same ratio as was in the liquid carbon products. I bought myself a ltr of it at the time but I believe these days it is harder to get hold of. It was used for sterilising equipment but I think they don't use it much any more because of the side effects it can cause.
Since then I have found out that excel is a slightly different chemical makeup, I think it is "polymerised" whatever that means! My opinions on it, I'm not that sure if I'm honest which is why I don't really use it that much or plan a tank around its use. I hear different things from different people and all these people know what they are talking about.
As an algaecide to spot treat or bail you out of an algae issue I would still use it if needed, the only time I do use it is on WC change day at the recommended excel dose and usually just on a particular area where I can see algae just starting to get a hold. Most times that's just on a bit of in tank equipment because I can't be bothered getting it out to give it a scrub :)

I don't use co2 injection these days because I haven't the time for the Faffing and maintenance that goes hand in glove with these high energy systems. If I had the time I would use gas instead of liquid carbon products although I've no doubt if I did I'd be reaching for the glute again at some point to bail me out. I would keep using it in your case then maybe gradually wean the tank back off it, every little helps. I would say 90% of the issues I see in this forum are caused by tired plants through either them being grown out of water or through transport being put in an immature tank and the kitchen sink threw at them with lighting, co2 and ferts. Once the plants grow in a bit and get healthy the tank tends to look after itself. All they want is enough of everything.
Thanks!!
I'll give the problem plants a squirt with a syringe or a brush on water change day. Hopefully, that should sort out the few plants that have the algae issue.
It certainly does soak up your time running a high tech tank, it's like a full time job some days! 🤪:)
Thanks again for all your advice.

Back