• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - Now FOR SALE !

Re: Tonsers 420L "Triassic Hollow" @ 1week

Wow, that is quality! It's definately one of the best hardscaping I've seen in a while. One thing that I did notice was the substrate level and ow it's slightly uneven at the front. I think any aquascape looks much better when the substrate level is even at the front, preferably quite low. I've never seen the Gelius Barb before, looks like a nice fish and I think it'll go with the feel of the aquascape really well, keep us posted on how everything goes this is one to watch for sure. :)

George Farmer said:
I suspect your Myriophyllum aquaticum was supplied in its already submerged form (I may be wrong). If this is the case then it will have a lot harder time adapting to your water, which may explain it 'melting'. Plants grown emerged i.e. around 90% of the species available in the hobby, adapt much easier. M. aquaticum is also an invasive species in the UK so please be careful when/if disposing of it.

Thanks for that George, it all rotted at its lower levels, but the new adapted growth was good, so I've removed it all and replanted the new growth in its place. I must commend http://www.plantedtanks.co.uk as they have a warning regarding the M. aquaticum on their website: "DO NOT DISCARD INTO WATERWAYS. This plant is a noxious weed where it has been introduced."

john starkey said:
Quality Tony,plants growth is looking very good,it will interesting to see how tall the hydrocotyle actually grows,great photo,s too,my wife loved the the family shot

Thanks John. I'm going to keep the hydrocotyle low within the hollow, but am hoping it grows quite tall on the left hand side so it forms a nice front to back transition - careful pruning required I think :lol:

rawr said:
One thing that I did notice was the substrate level and how it's slightly uneven at the front. I think any aquascape looks much better when the substrate level is even at the front, preferably quite low.

Thanks Thomas :) I agree with you on the straight front edge principal in most cases, but in this tank it is set into the wall, with an oak frame on the front of it ( see pic in first post ) so the frame gives you the neat straight lower edge.

flygja said:
Love the scape and love the attention to detail in the "gubbins"!

Thanks flygja :)

So we have reached Day 12 and theres going to be some trimming done :) The glosso is doing really well, and is 3 inches tall in places so I'm going to take the shears across it today - same for the hydrocotyle. Planting this stuff stem by stem too a long time, but its definitely worth the effort :)

_MUS5501.jpg

The Myriophyllum Matogrossense has hit the surface now, so that will be trimmed back too, and I'll start replanting the shoots to the left of it behind the main hollow. As mentioned above the Myriophyllum Aquaticum struggled to adapt at first, but the new growth is good and its playing catch up to its cousin :)

_MUS5517.jpg

The Ceratopteris Siliquosa has adapted very well too, creating lots of new plantlets. I think Graeme may well be right and this may just get too big and may break up the look of 'the hollow' too much. I'll try to keep on top of it and control its size.

_MUS5503.jpg

The Echinodorus Vesuvius is also growing at a hell of a rate, with many new plantlets appearing, some as far as 20cm away from the main plant. I'm going to keep it in there for now but am undecided as to whether it'll remain long term. The Tonina is adapting, but more slowly than the rest - it is at risk of being swallowed up by the fast growers so I may move it forward a bit.

_MUS5505.jpg

And the full tank at 10 days (ignore the Hygrophila Difformis in the back right corner, its been there as a fast growing absorber and will be coming out today). I think the colours of the plants in the centre are all too similar and they all merge into one mass of almost the same green - I'm going to have a look at that today and see if I can define things a bit better. I'm realising now how many fast growers I've got in there, and the trimming regime is going to have to be pretty strict to keep things in shape :wideyed: Today is "First Trim" day - pics later on :)

_MUS5511.jpg

and the Day 1 pic for comparison - aren't plants amazing :) :
_MUS5313.jpg

Seeeerrrrrrrrwish.

Looks great Tony.

That Myriophyllum has gone bonkers. Great for start up plant though.

Hows the glosso? Is it hugging the substrate yet?

Great growth, Tony!

Shame the glosso isn't staying lower; planting it individually like you have done normally gives it the best possible chance. If pruning it and increasing the photoperiod doesn't work then you may need to increase intensity. It may be my monitor but it also looks a bit yellow, especially in comparison to the other plants. Glosso should be a nice vivid green when it's healthy. What are you dosing?

The black background looks very good too. Much better for hiding the powerheads!

George Farmer said:
Shame the glosso isn't staying lower; planting it individually like you have done normally gives it the best possible chance. If pruning it and increasing the photoperiod doesn't work then you may need to increase intensity. It may be my monitor but it also looks a bit yellow, especially in comparison to the other plants. Glosso should be a nice vivid green when it's healthy. What are you dosing?!

Hi George

You're right about the glosso being a bit on the yellow side, and since trimming it back to 1 inch the other night it is more so (that said there is some brown diatoms in there now which is making everything look a bit yellow :silent: ) It is also growing back more vertically than horizontally. I'll post some new pics tomorrow, but in the meantime here is the regime as it stands today:

Lighting:
Front pair of 54w T5's: 10:00 > 15:30
Mid pair of 54w T5's: 12:00 > 14:00
Back pair of 54w T5's: 11:00 > 14:30

Water Change: 20% top up of RO/HMA blend twice daily, with overflow going to waste.

Dosing:
Micros:
0.1g Trace - Dosed on Mon, Wed and Fri

Macros:
20g KNO3
2g KH2PO4
7g K2SO4
22g MgSO4

Dosed on Sun, Tues and Thurs

Flourish Excel:
20ml per day

Any suggestions to get the glosso greener and carpeting more would be more than welcome :)

Tony

Try adding more KN03 I heared an seval threads that i makes carpeting plant greener.

Krish's Bettas said:
Try adding more KN03 I heared an seval threads that i makes carpeting plant greener.

Thanks Krish :)

Here are pics from last night - a couple of days after trimming the glosso, hydrocotyle and the myriophyllum's...

_MUS5519-2.jpg

_MUS5527.jpg

_MUS5521.jpg

Here you can see some of the diatoms in amongst the glosso. This is only in 2 places in the tank, both in high flow areas in the line of the koralias. I've moved some of the otos' in from my other tank, and they are taking care of it :)

_MUS5524.jpg

This is the glosso at the back right corner - looking leggy and yellow :(

_MUS5526.jpg

Re: Tonsers 420L "Triassic Hollow" @ 2.5 weeks

That's excellent Tony.
The scape has unique textural qualities and a very original look :thumbup: .

Cheers,
James

Thanks very much James :D

I've just been reviewing my dosing regime, and have realised that although my macros are all well above the recommended dosing ( to compensate for the 25% daily water change) my micro dosing is at about an eighth of what is recommended so that is the first thing I need to address :oops:

Tony

I have been searching through all the photos of peoples tanks on this site for inspiration and have to say this is one fo the most impressive - the hardscape is jaw dropping

Sorry for the lack of updates folks - life has been hectic, with our baby daughter having a kidney op, and a house move on the horizon too. Sadly this scape was neglected in the build up to Liberty's op, so the plants got leggy and algae took over a bit :(

Once the operation was out of the way, we had found a house we liked and agreed the sale on ours, so I didnt really tackle the tank as it would all be ripped out in a few weeks time. Unfortunately that house has fallen through, so we are now back to looking again so we could be here some time.

So....I'm going to attempt to get this back on track, as I think the hardscape deserves it. The Siliquosa and the parrot feather have gone rampant and somewhat taken over everything so I'll be stripping them right back to find out waht lurks beneath. The glosso has struggled due to the shadowing of the forementioned plants, but has taken in some places. I'd also made the mistake of adding the Cory Sterbia back in to the tank, but they just stir up the Aquasoil on a daily basis, so they may have to come back out.

No pics yet, as its just too embarrassing but once I get it going again I'll update things.

Thanks for your patience.

Tony

Good to hear that Liberty is recovering. What a hectic time it is indeed! Well if you ever need a hand pruning give me a shout :p

Im only 30 mins away hehe

Re: Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L

Well, I think I'm getting this back on track, though its going through a 'temporary' phase right now.

I still think the start of all this was trimming the glosso back when it was growing vertically, as the remaining stalks died and the BBA took to them first. My other mistake was adding the Corys, as they stirred up the aquasoil on a daily basis which left a dusty covering over everything reducing the leaves ability to collect light, and blocked the filters reducing flow dramatically. A massive lack of time, led to little or no maintenance, which led to more time being needed, but none being available ! The algae had reached epic proportions, particualrly the BBA - on seeing the photo below, andyh thought I'd sent a pic of an ewok :lol: :oops:

I got stuck in there with a ruthless pair of scissors and trimmed the hell out of everything that had BBA on it, and ran the shears across all the rocks before dosing them directly with Excel for the last 7 days. I also added a shoal of Siamese Algae Eaters who have done a miraculous job of chewing through the BBA - they must've thought Christmas had come early !!!

Unfortunately pretty much all of the plants had died, gutting considering the outlay in time and money I spent planting it all out. There are still hyrdrocotyle roots in the substrate so I guess they may come back with the new regime, but for now I've planted it all out with plants form my other tanks, and a few from the local MAq, really just to get it all going back on track again. Once that happens I may start adding and removing plants with ones I really want in there ( as per the original planting) but for now I just want to get it the lights/ferts/CO2 balance right and get it looking healthy.

A few pics below, including the one of the "ewoks" who have now been banished :lol:

Warts and all, as ever :D

Tony

Dont laugh too hard :oops:

Ewoks.jpg

And the same rock now...

TriassicHollow-8734.jpg

And another rock, where you can see the magenta "Exceled" BBA dieing back...

TriassicHollow-8733.jpg

And a few of the inhabitants...

TriassicHollow-8754.jpg

TriassicHollow-8752.jpg

TriassicHollow-8742.jpg

And the full tank shots...

TriassicHollow-8730.jpg

TriassicHollow-8719.jpg

Back