• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Peacocks Crypt' - The End

Re: Tonsers 200L Optiwhite

George Farmer said:
One of the highlights of my fishkeeping 'career' so far; sitting outside TGM with Oliver Knott both of us smashing up petrfied wood for his display/demo tank! Priceless.
From the visit at TGM the least impressive tank for me was the Knott tank, apart from the 3 large displays tanks which are just impressive how well they are scaped in that scale, my favourite was the one on the right of the ADA tank which I think was your demo tank George.

Re: Tonsers 200L Optiwhite

REDSTEVEO said:
ps In case I missed it where did you get that Triangle moss. I really would like some of that.

TGM.

Hope Tony does not mind me answering for him :)

Re: Tonsers 200L Optiwhite 'Peacocks Crypt'

Thanks for answering that one Matt :)

This tanks been going rather well, which is nice :) I gave it a good spruce up yesterday, and shot a pic of it for the IAPLC.

I thought you might be interested in some snaps of the shooting yesterday...

The initial setting up - things changed quite a bit to light the final shots ;)

IMG_1266.jpg

I shoot tethered so the capture comes straight up on the mac...

IMG_1262.jpg

I find it easier to see what I need to correct doing it this way, so I scribble some notes on it, then make some tweaks in the lighting and in the tank :)

IMG_1267.jpg

Tony

The lights were still set up this morning, so I took a couple of detail shots so i could update the thread...

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

_MUS5431.jpg

_MUS5426.jpg

Unfortunatley the detail shots look rather better then the full tank shot I entered :rolleyes: A lesson learnt - dont leave it until deadline day to do the pics :(

Tony

Incredible shots, Tony!

Thanks for sharing your lighting set-up. Is that a DIY snoot on the left? Is it black on the inside too?

The moss looks mad! At first I thought it needed a good trimming but the more I look at it the more I think it suits the naturalistic appearance to the design as a whole.

It'll be very interesting to see how you rank in the contest mate; you should do well. Good luck!

Thats some crazy monitor setup there, is that a laptop with a extra display and then another monitor for Photoshop palettes? Awesome!

LondonDragon said:
Tank is looking great Tony, should do well in the competition, good luck :)

Thanks Paulo. We'll see, top half would be nice :)

George Farmer said:
Is that a DIY snoot on the left? Is it black on the inside too?

The moss looks mad! At first I thought it needed a good trimming but the more I look at it the more I think it suits the naturalistic appearance to the design as a whole.

Thanks George. Yep, a quickly mocked up snoot, black inside and out. I just used it to bring out some detail in the front lower areas. The moss is a bit overgrown, particularly the ectropothecium ( centre back ) but I quite like it - I'm not into over manicured plants, but would rather they overgrow each other a little.

NeilW said:
Thats some crazy monitor setup there, is that a laptop with a extra display and then another monitor for Photoshop palettes? Awesome!

Haha - Its a laptop on the left, then to the right a big screen with a palette monitor for the mac pro.

Tony

I hope you didn't leave those brown lily pipes in the tank for the money shot :lol:

I'm curious though, you've got the umbrella and snoot in front of the front glass, won't that cause reflections?

interesting lighting set up Tony.

After looking at the set up image, i tottled off and tried it :lol: I just cant make it work like you do.

I can only seem to get semi decent shots by placing the lighting directly over the tank.

I am lacking 3 lights for the final shots, maybe 4.

Tony, this is a killer scape and like George, love the wild moss :thumbup:

flygja said:
I hope you didn't leave those brown lily pipes in the tank for the money shot :lol:

Hell yeah ! Tell it like it is I say :lol:

flygja said:
I'm curious though, you've got the umbrella and snoot in front of the front glass, won't that cause reflections?

saintly said:
interesting lighting set up Tony.

After looking at the set up image, i tottled off and tried it I just cant make it work like you do.

:oops: I did say
Tonser said:
things changed quite a bit to light the final shots ;)

For the final shots the brolly came off the right hand light, and I used it much harder, and more above the tank from the right. The left hand light stayed pretty much where you see it. You have to position it to avoid the reflection flyga, but the front panel of the tank has to be spotless, as it will light up any dust or smears beautifully. I just used it to pick out some detail in the lower front area as it gets quite shadowed in there.

I agree Mark, for that "perfect" shot you need at least 3 lights, and plenty of space around the tank, including behind it so you can light up the background nicely. My 5ft tank is set into the wall so that'll be a pig to light - no way to top light it :twisted:

Tony

Hi Paul

Pleased you like it :)

Here is the plant list...

Cryptocoryne Balansae
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica
Cryptocoryne Parve
Echinodorus Tenellus
Eleocharis Parvula
Bolbitis Heudeloltii
Microsorum Pteropus Windelov
Peacock Moss
Ectropothecium Moss
Taiwan Moss

Cheers

Tony

Re: Tonys 'Peacocks Crypt' - 200L

A long overdue update (again ! ) :)

The mosses had all outgrown their holdings and were floating up off the roots, so they have all come out for now. I'm growing some new stuff, but I'm quite liking the 'lighter' look of the tank right now so may not use it in here.

The Balansae has done really well ( it had good provenence being from Graemes 'Bones of the Earth' 8) ), and has taken over as the focal point in the tank. I love this plant as it moves around so much in the flow, so the tank is always changing. The Bolbitis is doing OK, but grows incredibly slowly in here so when theres an algae attack (theres a bit of BBA in there right now (again)) the leaves suffer.

Anyhows a couple of pics from this morning. I may be stripping this down soon as I have a new cabinet arriving for it, and will have a new light to hang above it too 8) , but I'll be sad to see it go :( But excited to do something new :)

Tony
PeacocksCrypt-8712.jpg

PeacocksCrypt-8708.jpg

PeacocksCrypt-8701.jpg

Re: Tonys 'Peacocks Crypt' - 200L

Tony, whats the lighting on this tank?

Did you consider suppending it? Maybe a little higher than usual? This could help control the algae :thumbup:

There's nothing in their too demanding, so i reckon lower light would of helped out, whilst retaining higher co2 levels.

This is what i'm doing and it's proving to be quite good.

Back