• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Poco Pozo

Headstanders look cool......do they not eat plants?? :nailbiting:

Whoop! First new life spotted tonight after dark - a brazen little Nannostomus eques. About a cm long already and obviously decided it was time to emerge from the tangle of roots and hairgrass.

JD0jsd.jpg

Incredible once again, again one of my favourite tanks...
Yesterday I spent the afternoon re-reading the bucket of mud journal, and this morning this new one. It looks that it is maturing much faster than the bucket, isn't it?
By the way, which filter are you using in that project? And the soil? Any significant difference with the bucket?

Jordi

Incredible once again, again one of my favourite tanks...
Yesterday I spent the afternoon re-reading the bucket of mud journal, and this morning this new one. It looks that it is maturing much faster than the bucket, isn't it?
By the way, which filter are you using in that project? And the soil? Any significant difference with the bucket?

Jordi

Cheers Jordi. The riparian plants are definitely growing in really fast (being under a skylight helps I think), but I planted that section much more heavily and with more robust plants than the Bucket. Can't really tell whats going on underwater with the mega tannins :p

Substrate is just plain old inert sand with a little peat mixed in. No soil this time. I'm dosing a very small amount of ferts daily to the water column. The filter is currently the same Eheim 2324 that was running on the Bucket, I might think about adding a second filter when the fish stock is a bit heavier but at the moment I suspect the outrageous growth from the palm grass is probably doing most of the 'filtering'.

Looks fantastic mate, really nice and quite jealous I gave it you now ha.

I'll get a tile and a controller out to you this week for definite so you can get some light on it mate.

Hehe well I'm not bringing it back now :p. So glad I finally got my hands on it after all those months of arsing about at my end. Thanks again Al, and for the lighting.

Spotted a couple more smaller N. eques fry this morning, including this minute dude (about 3mm long and impossibly thin) -

gNB8CY.jpg

I'm very close to going way out of my comfort zone and adding a mated pair of Guianacara stergiosi. They're currently surrounded by a cloud of fry in my LFS and are being impeccably behaved to each other despite being in a small tank. I'm more than a little worried about mixing them with the smaller community fish but know a couple of people who have mixed them with small tetras including neons without issue, so I might just risk it.

Well, fry and shrimp is food and some may survive if they find a place... But won't they dig the substrate and make a mess with your plants?

Jordi

Apparently they tend to concentrate their digging efforts around the spawning site, which I would anticipate being deep in the woodpile somewhere. As it is there's only hairgrass planted in the substrate which is pretty straightforward to replant if needed. Yes, I'd expect fry and shrimp to be predated but there's already a huge tangle of riparian roots, grass and floaters for things to hide in, and I'd probably move anything I spotted into a separate grow out tank.

Back