• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's 40l cube journal

tom_os

after having this tank for nearly 8 months i decided it was time to have a rescape. before i was using wood with plants such as java fern, staurogyne, utricularia, crypts etc however i after looking at the great tanks on here i wanted to try something a bit different and move away from wood.

the tank is a Aqua Qube 40 made by Aquadistri. i have upgraded the filter to a fluval 2+, it has a 200w juewl heater and 2 x 18w lights. in the bottom is JBL aqua basis with a thick layer of sand on top.

its inhabitants are 3 dwarf puffers and 3 ottocinclus. i know this new scape may not suit the puffers so i might get rid of them in replace of something else.

i had no ideas about rock placement so just played around until i found a position i liked.

plant wise im using hemianthus micranthemoides, pogostemon helferi and either glossostigma or hemianthus 'cuba' for the foreground.

the water is still about cloudy so you cant really see the scape but i will upload some pictures when it clears

currently there is some vallis in the back left corner but i am thinking about adding some rotala (not sure what type) instead

im currently dosing TPN+ about 1ml daily and using fermentation co2 for the moment (will probably move onto liquid carbon). lights are on for about 8 hours a day. 50% water changes will be done weekly and regular plant trimming to make them grow bushy.

as much as i would love to use high end equipment, this is being done on a budget so some compromises will have to be made

all comments welcome!

got some pictures

plants only went in yesterday so are still settling in. hopefully the rotala will stay this pink. thanks to piece-of-fish for the glosso. just waiting for some pogostemon helfri now.

im running 32w 8 hours a day with tpn+ and liquid carbon additions daily

comments on rock layouts etc would be appreciated. i didnt put much consideration into it but i dont think it is too bad.

also bought 10 amano shrimp which are settling in well

(right hand light stand is broken)
DSCF5860-1.jpg

DSCF5858-1.jpg

DSCF5850-1.jpg

i think when it gets a bit more hight it will look better

Looking good, Blyxa looks nice and healthy. I think the rocks will probably get a bit hidden when the HM grows. HM is a slow starter but once it gets going is a right weed! How are the puffers behaving with the shrimp?

Are you a fellow Tomos by any chance, regards - T

thanks, the puffers are fine so far, its like there not there. although they had about 7 live bloodworm each tonight. so i dont think they have the appetite for shrimp at the moment.

sorry what do you mean by a fellow Tomos?

My apologies, I thought from your user name you had the same first name spelling as me. Oh well :lol:

Back