• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To test or wait?

Fluxtor

Hi all, so I'm very new to co2 and have a tank setup ready to go and plants on order. I've been dark starting the tank for 3 weeks and I've just rigged up the co2 ready for the delivery of plants this weekend. Would it be okay to run the c02 on a timer as a test before I plant or will it have a negative effect and cause algae? Obviously dark start I will drain down, plant and then refill so any co2 in the water should be removed. To be honest I think the dark start was probably a waste of time as I've had zero readings from all my param tests so I doubt the tank has even cycled yet.

Specs are:
Superfish Scaper 60
Oase Biomaster Thermo 250
Colombo Nutribase capped with Pool Filter Sand
Seiryu Stone and Redwood

The co2 will be from a pressurised bottle using a co2 art regulator and inline diffuser. I was only thinking of testing for a few hours on the timer to make sure it comes on and off as required!

TIA

Hi all,
So okay to test then?
I'm not a CO2 user, but I think people tend to get their CO2 levels dialled in while they don't have any fish etc.

You can play with where to put the drop checker etc., before you have any plants. Once you have plants in they will use some CO2, but at that point you are only doing fine tuning.

cheers Darrel

Trying to dial in the CO2 before livestock is a great idea, doing it before plants is even better IMO. As if the CO2 is dialled in correctly before the tank is planted then the plants only have to get use to the new 'stable' CO2 levels and not the fluctuating levels of CO2 you get when dialling in the CO2

Thanks guys! I've set it up on a timer but currently still not running any light. I will be draining the tank before I plant but hopefully by testing now I can get it dialled in as you say!

Question for the CO2 gurus, is it normal for the working pressure on the regulator to drop during operation?

Well, not a guru, but mine has not moved from this in 28 days.

IMG_1287.jpeg

When you first connect it all together you will have a pressure value say you set it to 3. When you then open the valve to start dispensing the co2 into the tank, the pressure drops a little maybe to 2.9 or suchlike.

This is mine currently. It's due to go off any minute. Should it maintain these readings even when off?

Attachments

• PXL_20241017_195108691.jpg
    PXL_20241017_195108691.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
This is mine currently. It's due to go off any minute. Should it maintain these readings even when off?
Mine have been off for two hours now, and it's the same as when it was on.

Back