• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TIMEOUT!!!!!!!

I had to put this guy in time out. I have a veil that is the "showcase" fish in my tank and this guy tore his fins to shreds they have never had a problem. But I guess he decided he was done sharing the tank. So I have him in a quarantine tank until I can find a new home for him and another just like him. I guess I will have just the lone angel I know three was a bad number (damn impulse purchases). I plan to replace them with neons or some other smaller fish just so he doesn't get bored. And so I have more to look at :) (excuse for more fish)

996599860742338cb6c450205ee2e32f.jpg

Nice fish. Neons could an expensive snack for them though. Try rummy nose tetras.
That has been on my mind. I have a few small panda cory in with him and he has never shown any aggressions to them even when they bump him in the face (Which happens every ten seconds because they are all over the place) I do love rummy nose but I worry since my tank is taller than it is long they won't have the room they would need. They are always on the move and I've seen them clear 55 gallons and 75 gallon tanks from one side to the other in about two seconds. Neons and embers are about the cheapest fish around for me. They run about a buck each rummys run about $3 to $4 a piece. (I'm alittle broke at the moment and I fund my entire hobby on gift cards that I get thru "bing" and a few other sources other than to buy fish I havnt spent a dollar on my set ups. Food, lights, filter, all free) I just cant stand when people have crazy large tanks and have one flower horn or or one Oscar with gravel and that's it. To me I see just so much empty wasted space that has so much potential. And I have always said "nope that's not me ill never do that".

I have another branching trunk I am adding to the scape (if you can call it that) which might limit his accesses to some of the lower portion of the tank (although I have seen him wedge himself and get stuck between the wood and glass before I had to free him. It was scary I'm just glad I noticed it) which I can just see a bunch of smaller fish enjoying the space while providing a safe place to hang out if he does get nippy (or hungry). I guess I could test him with some feeders my lfs has they are 10 for a dollar. They look like reject endlers to me. But I always look at them while I'm there. Some are in bad shape with twisted spines but I think many of them are great and have great colors. I might be able to judge his temperament better not just towards other angels. He is well fed so if he goes after them it will be more because he's an a$$ than hungry. Lol

I guess what I'm trying to say is AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I don't know what to do. Lol I've kinda hit a "scrapers block" and don't know we're to go from here. Darn fish "can't you all just get along"

sorry didn't know my response was going to be this long.

Last edited:
I see your dilemma there. Yes I find the Rummy's are always more expensive than neons.

Do you have a FTS of this tank? Curious to see the setup...

It's nothing special. I cant afford a ton of plants. So I went for a natural amazon look. It's a 20 tall. It has an 800 l/ph internal filter. And a power head that is usually has a sponge filter attached to it. But right now it is in the timeout tank. The heater is unplugged. Because my daughters room (were the tank is) has a machine for her oxygen. That keeps the tank at 80. Or I would have lowered the temp to see if it helped the agression. The pictures after are kinda the inspiration. It had a half inch layer of green beard algae On it which I loved. But since the move to this tank and the depth of the tank it has disappeared but is starting a grow back.

00e0fbab10807280eceb084697764d75.jpg

e4949cdc8fc400d6244c1eb8849e4560.jpg

ae241cf3290c19890fc3e3f0fa74879a.jpg

42c9b4b2c1799fb0722960852362c553.jpg

Thanks for the picture and your inspiration. You are correct in that most of the amazonian fish live without plants.

A 20 high, is really only suited to a single angel longterm, you might manage a breeding pair in this sort of tank but it's far from ideal for the angels - who really do deserve swimming space, I kept a group in a 4 foot tank with carefully selected tankmates & scape ... they really are interesting fish with social hierarchy & behaviours & rarely still.

Often angels that grow up with smaller (prey) fish will continue to ignore these fish in terms of predation though newly introduced fish of same species may not be given the same tolerance.

If you haven't been keeping small fish with your angels, look to add some of the deeper bodied tetras such as "rosy" tetras (Bentosi usually) or black phantom tetras etc (perhaps in trade for your other 2 angels)

I cant afford a ton of plants
A window propagator is an excellent way to extend a couple stems into many :)
- I think Emersed Growing offers some good basics (I know I've read some of the threads, just not sure if they were in this forum or just slipped into another :sorry:)

I agree. To tell you the truth I never wanted angels. I like small fish. My family (there's my problem) and i went fish shopping for my birthday. I had a list of what I was getting. Next thing I know I'm in the car saying to myself what the he// just happened. I really have come to like my veil a lot though. I do like my others they just haven't grown on me as much. They just don't have his personality. So hopefully I can rehome them soon. And everyone can be in happy, healthy, stress free tanks.

Last edited:
Oh and as for plants. I need to upgrade my lighting befor i do plants my plan is to use alot of nana petite. Climbing up the slopes of the wood. I may just go cheap and do a clip on lamp with a descent cfl. Something that will work for a tall tank. At least untill I can get a nice led. Like I said all my hobbies are funded buy amazon or PayPal gift cards I get thru various apps and websites. So it take some time to save them up.

Depending where you live, sunlight can actually do a decent job of supplying the "lumens" - obviously easier done in cooler climes ;)

Does your lfs do trades/credits? your other angels should be good for a bit

At room temperature I can't get the tank below 80 if I put it by the window i would have dinner. Lol.

I called them and they don't do trades. My old fish store did but I don't think they will make the long drive.

Back