• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

This might need to go in the co2 section!

jagz

hi guys im looking at getting hold of a aps 2000l filter for my next project, now i will be injecting co2 into this project and the original plan was to use a up atomizer but after a bit of research i have found the filter has 22/26mm pipe and there isnt a up atomizer that is big enough,

now the idea for me to use such a big filter was so i didnt have to have powerheads in the tank, so far i would have to relocate my heater into the tank as my hydor external that i have wont fit the pipe, and now im struggling to sort the co2 issue, so the way it is going im thinking about using my current eheim ecco filter which is only 600lph but that has 12/16mm pipe and my hydor fits that and i can get a up atomizer for it, but this would mean adding a koralia into the tank which i wanted to avoid.

So basically im asking all you guys with big pipes how do you do it? (that sound wrong :lol: ), how do you add you co2 is there anything on the market that will allow me to add my co2 though the big pipe work,

cheers in advance Ric

Could you not make your own reactor? That way you can go plumbers merchant and get whatever couplings fit your pipe work

could do but how?

my dad in a plumber but what would i need to make one,

jagz said:
could do but how?

my dad in a plumber but what would i need to make one,

Hi jagz, there's a link in my signatures for when I made one for the fx5 filter which had 25mm hoses, just purchase the same pieces online but use smaller hose tails at either end of reactor or do as fox fish says and just split the hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think spliting the hose is a mint idea could i then put eack end of the 16mm onto either end of a spray bar and then just have the up atomizer on one of the 16mm

i have had a look at a few diy thread but i think spliting might be a much better option

Ric

Yes you could but I would use one feed to the spray bar & one feed direct into the tank, an even easier option would be a simple loop....

b5688c7b.jpg

that seems a bit of a better option, just gotta figure out what i need to make that lol

i will have a look at what pipe work is available, do you think that would work ok will the loop get enough flow as surely the main flow will take the route of least resistance which would be straight up so the flow though the loop might be a little slow, what do you think

Ric

ok so i have had a bit of a thinking and have come up with 2 ideas and please let me know what you think

filteroptions.jpg

ok so the image on the left
this one just is as foxfish has said 20/25mm pipe coming in and then t`s off into 12/16mm and can then fit a up atomizer then t`s back into the 20/25mm pipework

the image on the right,
i think this will be the one i go for if it will work, basically 20/25mm pipes comes from the bottom then it splits via a y piece into 2 , then it reduces into 2x 12/16mm pipes on the one side is the up atomizer and the other is my hydor (which i currently have at the 12/16mm size) , the 2 pipes then open back up into the 20/25mm pipe using 2 more reducers and a final y piece to connect to the original 20/25mm pipe work

now i have managed to find all the parts i would need for either of these ideas in the sizes i need , if the one on the right works then i think this would suit me better as i dont have to worry about having a heater in the tank, which is my main aim to have as little as possible in the tank

please let me know what you think

Ric

The option on the left will work, you don't need any flow through the 16mm pipe really as the micro bubbles will just rise into the main flow.
In fact I think you could even do away with the bottom part of the loop & it would still work!
The other option on the right might not work so well as there is not control over the flow & one side could easily become very biased. If the two out lets were fed into the tank it would be possible to check the flow rates.
How big is the tank?

my tank is a juwel rio 180,

yea what you said makes sense what about on the right image, what about if i was to add a inline tap on the atomizer side shuting in a little to slow the flow that side as you said with the left image it doest need as much flow as the co2 bubbles will rise anyways

Back