• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thermo 100 for 60P?

Aquarist_g

Hello, I am going to be setting up a 60P tank soon and I'd like to get some input on the filter. I currently have a 10 gallon with a thermo 100 and was wondering what people on here would think for just using that as a filter for the 60p. I'll have co2 and a chihiros wrgb 2, so it will be a high tech tank. I know that the filter is rated to 30 gallons and being that it's only 17 gallons I'm thinking that it will be fine but I've noticed from reading on here and watching youtube videos all the high tech aquascapers always have filters that are crazy overkill for the size of tank. I'm just wondering why that Is, as well as If anyone could give me some advice on if they think I'll be fine with the current filter. Thanks!

I use a 350 Thermo for my 60p and the flow is ok. It has enough media space to feel comfortable about the actual biological filtration (3 liters of Matrix) and it allows me to clean it less often than a smaller filter - I clean my prefilter once a week when I do my water change and every 6 months I do a deep clean of the filter (as in I actually open the canister and rinse the bio media, etc).

I know it quickly adds up when equiping a high tech aquarium, but this time the small difference in money from a 100 to a 350 is really worth it in my opinion and that's why I went for it.

What @seedoubleyou said above, the 10x rule takes all that in to account. In addition, it also ensures adequate flow for CO2 distribution throughout the tank. However, 10x is only a guideline, albeit a relatively foolproof one, it should give the best chances of success. But folk have succeeded with less.

Further, if the tank is heavily planted you aren't really going to need an oversized filter packed with media, the plants will do much of the biological filtration, providing you don't overstock with critters. But you may need to supplement flow by some other means, e.g. a powerhead or maybe just a surface skimmer.

I run a Fluval 207 on my heavily planted low tech community 60P(UNS 60U) and it is working great so far. It seams to be the perfect size for my application(780lph). I have it running full blast and have tamed its flow with an Aquario Neo Flow pipe with Neo Reliever Outlet(also using their V2 Skimmer on the outlet). I almost went with a Fluval 107 and am very glad I didn't. In fact, I'm pretty sure one could make a 307 work on this tank with the right setup.

In my opinion, as long as one can tame the flow velocity enough for one's wildlife, 10 times turnover rate should be the minimum size/starting point for a canister on a heavily planted tank(high or low tech).

It is also important how one directs/manages that flow. I like to make sure all of the plants in the tank(stems and such) are slightly swaying in the current. And, I watch the wildlifes behaviour compared to lower flow rates as well. Neither should be getting tossed around violently or showing any signs of struggle.

Personally, I think an Oase Filtosmart 100 is too small for your application. I would go with a Biomaster 250 or even 350 or larger if you want to go Oase(look into the air leak issue first before deciding).

I hope this is helpful👍.

The flow from my 350 isn’t too high for my 60L. In fact if I had a larger tank I’d go for the biggest Biomaster I could get!

Back