• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

thegreenmachineonline

I didn't tried bad-mouth TGM
This doesn't read as if you did - I've long admired TGM, it's an amazing shop ... I hope they read these sort of feedbacks & take note of what seems to be reasoned commentary

Like others I'm astounded at their decision to close weekends (it's my understanding that a good number of clients drive some distance to access TGM & this isn't likely to be an option weekdays), especially as they already have limited hours - aquarium shops in my area run an 11 - 7 workday to allow the average working person a chance at daily shop visits.
If pursuing the online shopping market, then they need to be on top of that game.

This doesn't read as if you did - I've long admired TGM, it's an amazing shop ... I hope they read these sort of feedbacks & take note of what seems to be reasoned commentary

Like others I'm astounded at their decision to close weekends (it's my understanding that a good number of clients drive some distance to access TGM & this isn't likely to be an option weekdays), especially as they already have limited hours - aquarium shops in my area run an 11 - 7 workday to allow the average working person a chance at daily shop visits.
If pursuing the online shopping market, then they need to be on top of that game.

That is probably worth reading twice

You could use tropica soil, tried and tested with great results by many members on here and readily available from various sponsors.
I bought the Tropica soil from AE for my new scape. The lack of ammonia was a plus for me over ADA as livestock was going straight back in on rescape day.

Reactions: tim
I went for ADA, because I'm setting up tank for taiwan bee shrimps and i need active soil + I'll do rescape of my nano tank where i have colombo flora base turned in to mud after one year.

I agree with Tim, Tropica complete soil (the one that looks like AquaSoil) is a very good option. I have also used other brands such as HELP Advanced and Blau complete soils, and I cannot tell the difference with ADA AquaSoil (and I've used during the last years quite a few liters of AquaSoil).

Jordi

Not to talk you out of the ADA but shrimps do fine on Tropica soil as well ;)
If by "active" you mean CEC, most aquarium soils will do this, if you're looking for lowered pH, most aquarium soils will do this (re CEC)

rescape of my nano tank where i have colombo flora base turned in to mud after one year.
sympathies on this - very annoying when this happens

TGM's business model intrigues me as does their decision not to sponsor this forurm and now to close on weekends. My understanding is that they are the sole UK ADA importer/distributor and so it may just be that their wholesale side is really where they make their living or maybe high end commercial installations in hotel and businesses etc?
To me ADA is something of a high end boutique brand that appeals to wealthy people who just want what is or is percieved as being "the best" and aren't so concerned with cost. For these customers think beautiful gallery style showroom, comfy sofas, posh coffee, perhaps next door to a high end audio store...

If this is where TGM really make their income then having to deal with hoards of relatively low spending time intensive questioners at the weekends may be an unwelcome distraction!

To me ADA is something of a high end boutique brand that appeals to wealthy people who just want what is or is percieved as being "the best"
This is also my guess and ADA was the first manufacturer to create a luxury shop line which did not exist in the hobby. But to be honest ADA was offering a few years ago really exclusive items: their soils, glassware, hang on thermometers... which unfortunately for these shop owners are not exclusive anymore. All this has been copied and rebranded with cheaper prices. In other words, standard fish shops are selling these items and additionally they keep on selling what a great majority of hobbyist normally buy.

The question is: is it competitive to be a luxury seller? It is of course, there is room for luxury in all the sectors. But as far as I have seen it needs to be supported by a very significant online business volume. Have a look at Spanish, Hungarian, French, German, etc. ADA exclusive sellers. They all have very good websites and I'm pretty sure that a big share of their benefits come from the internet business. If you fail also there, my guess is that things will get bad faster and faster.

Jordi

Have a look at Spanish, Hungarian, French, German, etc. ADA exclusive sellers. They all have very good websites and I'm pretty sure that a big share of their benefits come from the internet business. If you fail also there, my guess is that things will get bad faster and faster.

Ineed, seems TGM really needs to re-invent itself or soon be history. ADA are going to need some highly innovative original new products soon as well for that matter

My local Southampton Aquajardin sell ADA stuff, soil pipes & ferts. Tanks on order only. And in shop only.

Ineed, seems TGM really needs to re-invent itself or soon be history. ADA are going to need some highly innovative original new products soon as well for that matter
Let's see their new Solar Series LED lamps that will be launched in a few weeks... this is going to be really tough for ADA sellers. It looks like the price is going to be really high and this item arrives a bit late IMO, when most of the brands are already selling high quality LED, with nice and slim designs and at prices that are becoming reasonable.

Jordi

To me ADA is something of a high end boutique brand that appeals to wealthy people who just want what is or is percieved as being "the best" and aren't so concerned with cost.
To be fair to ADA they do make very good products and it's hard to knock the quality when compared to the cheaper copies (sometimes). Whether or not it justifies the cost I don't know but for some items I see them as worth the extra expense. Sometimes while things are comparatively a lot of money the still appeal to the like of me (basically skint) because of that little extra quality. That is a different argument though from the perceived customer service from their sales outlets. I doubt ADA see themselves as a "mail order" brand, if they were I doubt the likes of I would ever buy their goods, it's only through seeing them in the flesh that would convince me that some items are worth stretching the purse strings for.

I've not been in this hobby that long but in the short time I have it has had a change worldwide in it's appeal, from the seedy LFS image to the great heights TGM seemed to offer 4 or 5 years ago to, well see below.

I was looking at a video Pedro Rosa poster on the other (linked) TGM thread of a shop in Portugal (equally Green Aqua), don't know if you've seen it (/them)? Seems like Darwins theory in action when you compare the 2 one side solely aimed at elevating the customer experience, the other hiding from Dinosaurs

God that sounds snobby!

When i look at their prices you British people all must have a nice salary, even if i count €1 as a £1 tgm still is average 3 times what i pay at a dutch webshop for the same plant. And pound is euro + 30% at the time. o_O

And i thought after a vacation there, the noorwegian where europes only Americanophiles. :rolleyes:

To me ADA is something of a high end boutique brand that appeals to wealthy people who just want what is or is percieved as being "the best" and aren't so concerned with cost
Unfair!!! - location, location, location ;)
If I want an optiwhite tank, ADA is the most competitively priced glass box available - was rather shocked recently to see a non-ADA 30cm cube tank that was not finished near as nice as my ADA version retailing at 10% higher! (& this is at a shop that offers very competitive pricing ... )

When I looked at lighting that same 30cm cube, Current USA (& others) don't offer LED units in that size range, the Hagen alternative was not attractive (nor all that economic), I'd really like the new Flexi-mini but it's not yet available (that I can find) in a US plug - so given my "want" of a low profile & non-black LED (who knew these were such unusual wants) - I ended up with the Aquasky

ADA cabinets & filters are way out of my budget
Glass fittings - ADA & Do Aqua are available, anything else, either no one wants to ship or shipping is $$$ (I always pay insurance & it can still be the devil to actually collect on, so not the most efficient way to obtain fragile items) I'm waiting on a stainless set that fits my budget (& wants) after currency exchange & shipping - eheim green really isn't all that bad ;)

Aquarium soils - if you think ADA is $$$, try costing out the Hagen equivalent :eek:

Hardscape - it's all $$$ (again ADA versions come in at some very competitive pricing)

ADA came in & changed UP the local aquarium trade :thumbup:

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of ADA products and trust them for quality... I even seriously considered a Powerfilter for awhile... Before ADA arrived all aquarium products tended to be plasticy and not very aesthetically well designed as many continue to be. ADA have raised the game... the Apple of aquatics perhaps

C'mon everybody is in Joint venture nowadays and only the low salary countries realy manufacture. They relative high salary countries only consume. ;) Were all becoming subjected to trademarks (some names still thriving on overdue succeses from the past) with managers, managing bulk productions and aiming to be pensionado at 45 of age.. At least that's the midlle class goal since decades.. Be there at 45 or else you can shake it and then if so still roam a little more not to get bored.

Buying ADA is probably buying high end quality control performed buy low salary employees.. And if the quality doesn't match the standards it is shiped off to a spinoff trademark for the common functionalist. (Never) Read beauty magazines (they only ake you feel ugly) and if you want to impress your neighbour you have to pay the price tag of perfectionism. :cool::wacky:

Back