• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Lazy Asian Biotope

Still an absolute stunner, I am very tempted to try and emulate something like this. It packs such a punch! Congratulations on a fantastic placing

Cheers, Joe

Thanks, it's a very enjoyable and easy care tank and I'm sure you'd enjoy something similar. Mine is in a hall area so the noise from the Maxpect isn't too intrusive but in a lounge setting you might get complaints. The Maxpect is really very quiet in itself but with the high circulation bits and pieces are always getting sucked in and causing it to whine...

I doubt I'll change it much anytime soon but do feel an increasing urge to create something more purely biotope that replicates an exact section of river somewhere rather that just a general Asian crypt tank as this is....

Ummm maybe this will evolve that way....

Hello,
All is still well and I left the tank be for a good few weeks until it became quite a jungle..

DSCF9021.jpg

This was severely reducing the current and I hadn't seen a current loving Hillstream Loach in some time so a big trim last weekend renewed things nicely

DSCF9025.jpg

into to the far more entertaining lively stream feeling of earlier. The loaches are fine and now out and about much more. The only other change is that ferts were upped to 6ml daily a couple of months back.

Last edited:
How has the maxspect faired as time has gone on? I had one on my reef aquarium and found them so powerful, do you find it lifts the substrate at all?
Unsure if anyone has experienced one but Jeboa have brought a version out (much cheaper) I'm thinking about adding one to give it a go.

How has the maxspect faired as time has gone on? I had one on my reef aquarium and found them so powerful, do you find it lifts the substrate at all?
Unsure if anyone has experienced one but Jeboa have brought a version out (much cheaper) I'm thinking about adding one to give it a go.

Hi the Maxpect has been great. At the start, before the balansae grew in, I had it on the lowest setting but now with the dense growth I have it on full power constant mode with the water being drawn in underneath it and directed along beneath the surface. I've never had an issue with the substrate being disturbed. Once after a full clean up I somehow set it up wrong and ended up with it directing water both down and across which was less than ideal and took awhile for me to sort out. It's actually got quieter with age but is prone to drawing in bits of moss, leaf and snails which can make it noisy. If your tank is in your living room then this may make you unpopular with your household....

I'm considering the Jeboa one when I rescape my little tank as I love the dynamism of the fast flowing river type scapes. I've only really done quiet sleepy scapes before.

It's actually in a room I sleep in! I had a gyre running in here before and it was OK noise wise.

I might just try the Jeboa this time though, we will see................

A soothing hum aids restful sleep....

One of my very favourite tanks, so natural with flow and I like the fact its evolved over many years using the same substrate and T5's. Kinda goes against a lot of advice out there and underlines the need to keep things simple and above all stable.

My own crypts grow but not to the lushness I see here, perhaps because its not dirty engough at 18 months. Will have to stop vacing it!

Thanks!

Yes don't vac, the only time i've ever syphoned off detritus is at somewhat infrequent rescape times....

I also think that it being a large 400ltr tank helps, my smaller tanks haven't been quite so effortless to keep balanced.

Back