• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Green Corner (planted on page 2)

Oh man, @CooKieS you are driving me crazy ;) I love the layout you mentioned, tried something similar, but my woods just dont fit that perfecty (see one of the attachments). Maybe it looks better if I lift the right part via substrate like five centimeters. Visited the LFS today, but nothing worth mentioning available there...

And then I did some mor hardscapes ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20170529_133140.jpg
    IMG_20170529_133140.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20170529_130923.jpg
    IMG_20170529_130923.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20170529_062008.jpg
    IMG_20170529_062008.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 151
Hell, I spam this thread with layouts, but I think I made the inspiration of Cookie a bit better than the last try ;)

Digged out my old PS CS3 to give it some brushes and make a planted illusion. Maybe a bit to much, but the impression is what counts ;)

Attachments

• ScapingPlan.jpg
    ScapingPlan.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 154
  • ScapingWithPlants.jpg
    ScapingWithPlants.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 149
Well done mate! :)

Right Island looks perfect to me, Wood placement on the left Island can be improved by twisting some into the right direction.

Then you can work on 'the path' (focal point ) in the middle, where you can add small branches, stone and détails.

Have fun ;)

Thanks for your comment ;) you push me to levels i did not think about so far. The little branches are a great idea, I guess I need to visit a LFS the next days to get something i can chop into pieces. Have you any suggestions how to stop those little pieces from floating? The big pieces will be held down by rocks tied to them from beneth (the layout is already designed that way), but I do not have a clue for the small ones.

Little rocks are planned from the beginning, but I want to wait till the important stones are set so I can crush the left ones (hope a hammer will do the trick ;) ).

You're welcome!

To secure the woods I use those (tied to one big rock in the bottom):

170530062903850113.jpg

And for the smaller ones and the branches I use gel glue like this one ;

170530062902731933.jpg

Easy, cheap and effective. ;)

Hi,

yesterday my tank arrived. I was a bit overeager and took the layout apart without taking pictures from all sides... no chance to get this together again ;)

So I tried it all over again, have the nearly same woods, but different rocks. I like the result ;)
The Path looks a bit smaller, but the overall rocks are a bit better in my opinion.

The details will be added once Sand and Soil are inside the tank.

Attachments

• NewLayout.jpg
    NewLayout.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 132
Hi,

last saturday I finished the tank ;) had no time so I write this down a bit late.

Final plant list:
Microsorum pteropus 'Trident'
Anubias barteri var. nana "Petite"
Vesicularia "Christmas Moss"
Rotala sp. "Colorata"
Eleocharis pusilla (parvula)
Bucephalandra sp. "Mini Needle Leaf"
Bucephalandra sp. "Deep Purple"
Bucephalandra sp. "Maia"
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Green'
Cryptocoryne walkeri 'Hobbit'
Juncus repens

And now, the picture:
FinalLayout.gif

I am so excited about seeing that growing in. I like the layout really much. Doing waterchanges of about 30 % every other day.

Thank you :) You contributed a lot to this tank and I am thankfull for that!

Natures already starts to do the job ;) while most plants will need a while to settle in the new environment, the rotalas in the background are already starting to grow a bit.

I will try to keep this updated at least every other week to have a great journal for you guys and myself :D

Today my new tank got two weeks old. Since the NO2-Peak happend in the first weak (bacterial supplements worked well for me) i stocked the tank with two zebra nerites on wednesday and added another three today. All of them seem to be fine, even if the two of the three new ones are climbing to the top, which the two others did as well. None of them left the tank, so I think it's fine.

On the plant size there did not happen much. Some Buces and Crypts are melting but thats nothing special to new tanks. The hairgrass starts to produce some sideshoots, but really slowly. The Rotalas grow like crazy, but they are not visible from the front so far. Think with the next update in about two weeks they will be visible. So everything went well so far.

I lowered the water level quiet a bit to give the snails room for being above the water line. They seem to love it as far as my researches go.

Here is a new picture for you guys, as I promised.

TankUpdate.jpg

Today I trimmed back the Rotalas in the background. Futher I had a lot of algae outbreak going through: hairalgae, diatoms, bga and some more. Removed as much as I could. Did not syphon as much of the diatoms, since they reappear in the first weeks anyway ;) . Here is a picture before and after the trim.

TankBeforeTrimming.jpg
TankAfterTrimming.jpg

Hi guys,

I just want to give you a short update in form of text. I am a bit short in time currently due to semester exams of my last semester before I will do my BA-Thesis, which is why I am pretty rare at the moment and propably for the next two to three weeks.

At the moment this tank is running extremly well. After I introduced the fish from my old tank they wiped out about 80% of the algae. Whats left is a bit of BGA (you really need to search for it) and a lot of green sand, most likely due to GDA. But even those 20% are getting better day by day.

Whats currently living inside the tank is the following:
- 12 Ember Tetras
- 6 Otocinclus
- 6 Amano Shrimp
- about 15 Red Cherry Shrimp
- 8 Nerite Snails

On the plant side, there is everything fine. Some of the Crypts melted completly but thats okay for me, since anything else is growing like crazy. I am really surprised by this. It seems that one does not need that much light (currently level 4/7 for my Chihiros fixture). One of my Buces even started to flower for about a day or two (was away as it started).

The only thing that went completly wrong, was the take down of my old tank... I think I lost about 5 to 10 RCS which drove me crazy on that day. I accidently lost control of a huge piece of dragon stone while taking it out... Some gas off their fish, others feed them wrong and I simply crash the shrimp... something has to go wrong for any hobbyist I guess...
Every other living animal inside the tank is doing fine. I even noticed an increased activity on both, the ember tetras and the otos. Those two seem to really love the new tank, being more active as in the other tank before.

So, that was more text than I inteded to do. Further pictures will come in about two weeks or so ;)

Have a nice day.

Hi,

it's almost a month ago since i posted the last picture and while I thought the tank didn't change much, the pictures show an other impression.

Last week I added 15 Glue Neons (P. Simulans) and while they were pretty shy for the first seven days, they seem pretty happy now.

In Germany we say: "a picture tells more than 1.000 words". With that in mind:

TankUpdate170804.jpg

Some work has to be done (trimming, removing the loose substrate here and there and so on). But overall, I am pretty happy, regarding that I had no more time than dosing, feeding and a water change for the last four weeks.

Whats the red plant? I could use some red in my tank to contrast the green

That's Alternanthera Reineckii Mini. This plant is really easy to care, enough light and ferts given. I really love it.

Commiserations on this :(
Usually they're quick enough to get out of the way, poor guys

Thank you. Yeah, depends on the size of stone... That went pretty bad.

Back