• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The borrowed hillside

Henk Marais

Seedling
After receiving mixed views from my local forum, I decided to also show it here at Ukaps.

I want to start by thanking @George Farmer for the inspiration for this one, hence the name.
I have always loved George Farmer’s hillside scape, and have decided to scape my little tank in a similar fashion. The idea is that it will be home to my critters that I am planning on getting soon.
· Tank dimensions 40mm (w) x 20mm (D) x 30mm (H)
· HOB to start (will get a canister at a later stage)
· Will be sitting under the same canopy of my 3foot that has an overhang so will use the same lights. (Difficult to explain – I will post a pic later)
· Second hand Aqua soil (Thanks Dory’s)
· Co2 – Will have when I flood it.

Plants
Dwarf hair grass
Riccardia Chamedryfolia
Dwarf baby tears (HC)
Fissidens Fontanus

I am going to try and have the patience to have an immersed start. (No really, I am going to try. All those who know about my OCD can stop laughing now.)

Here are my first attempts at the hard scape. I am leaving it for a day or two to see if I am happy with it. Please give me your inputs and tell me what you would do different.

I took quite a big piece of driftwood and broke it into smaller pieces. I also used a dremmel tool with a wire brush to accentuate the growth rings of the wood and to give it more character.
I know it might seem that I have to many rocks in the front, but I dont like to many open spaces, and the Idea is to move and remove them as the carpet spreads out a bit.
IMG_7500_zps9317ae09.jpg

IMG_7504_zps846b4c70.jpg

IMG_7508_zps8189b642.jpg

I Used paint software to create what I think the scape will start to look like when the plants starts to grow. dont laugh I am not the best artist;)
IMG_7500plants_zps43c9e448.jpg

:DOnce the plants/ carpet grows in I'm sure it will look good.:) I like the knarly wood.

it reminds me of those old electric log effect fires at the moment. Sorry if that sound negative it's not supposed too.:) :D

Last edited:
Looks great, one thought, the wood might get swamped by the plants, perhaps more wood would help or you could raise it on the rocks.

Back