• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TAP WATER requiring help??

Mr Loach

About to set up a new tank for anubias java fern and crypts. my tap water has phosphate level of 4-5 ppm and nitrate of 10-20 ppm on API Test kits. i know plants require both so are these levels too high for my chosen plants and if so what should i try to reduce them to? and how? many thanks Andrew

About to set up a new tank for anubias java fern and crypts. my tap water has phosphate level of 4-5 ppm and nitrate of 10-20 ppm on API Test kits. i know plants require both so are these levels too high for my chosen plants and if so what should i try to reduce them to? and how? many thanks Andrew
You definitely do not need to reduce either of them. You might in time need to add some fertiliser and there are lots of good options for that. It is difficult to "remove things" from water so if you wanted to remove them (which isn't necessary) the usual way would be to start with deionised or RO water instead of tap water.

RO just gives you water with params that you know, so then you can dose accurately with macros and micros. With tap water that’s much harder to do 👍

Hi all,
my tap water has phosphate level of 4-5 ppm and nitrate of 10-20 ppm on API Test kits
The nitrate (NO3-) levels may be right, but you won't have 4 - 5 ppm (mg/L) phosphate (PO4---) <"Phosphates 2.5+ in my tap water.">.
i know plants require both so are these levels too high for my chosen plants and if so what should i try to reduce them to? and how?
<"I use floating plants">, they aren't CO2 limited and are <"very efficient at reducing levels of all nutrients">. Many manufacturers and LFS will try and sell you "PO4--- reducing resins" etc, but my opinion is that they don't have your best interests at heart, they just want to <"sell you a product">.

The "problem" with <"plants and time"> is nobody extorts any money out of you.

cheers Darrel

Back