• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tap Water and CO2 Fluctuations

Greenview

I am in the early stages of running a non-CO2 enriched tank and having to do fairly frequent water changes in order to control the water parameters, but I am concerned about the potential for CO2 fluctuations and the risk of BBA (I have read that tap water contains a relatively higher concentration of CO2 than water that has been standing around for a while). How troublesome are these fluctuations? Anyone any idea how long the tap water should be allowed to sit before it has de-gassed sufficiently?
Thanks

Do you need to make water changes and not just top? That is an alternative approach that have been using on a non co2 system for the last 3 months and all seems to ne doing pretty well with no significant issues.

I remember years ago I used to stand water for 24 hours to allow the chlorine to escape. That would be more than sufficient for co2. However I dont think that is really necesarry unless you are doing large changes in one go.

Thanks, Sanj.
Yes, at the moment I am needing a few water changes until the filter gets up to speed on the ammonia/nitrite load. When that set-up period is over I plan on top-ups only.

I don't think that I got any appreciable ammonia leech from the soil either. The ammonia/nitrite levels were my mistake: I suspect my normal tests over a few days after set-up were because of minimal leech, and not the plants and filter dealing with it (as I thought). This, and a heater failure that killed a few plants, probably knocked off the filter culture so much that when I added fish I got a spike. Mature media borrowed from another tank seems to have sorted it, but I thought that I was looking at several large water changes for a few days. The very appeal of this tank is the low maintenance, so I hope for top up only soon.

Back