• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank overstock?

Steve C

Seedling
So I have an aquaone nano 40 which is 51 litres I have asked my LFS to source some galaxy rasbora he wants me to order and take a complete bag (approximately 40 off ) is that too many for my tank I want to put shrimp in at a later date
I know I may lose a few but I was thinking 15-20 off
they will be the only fish in there
On the plus side I can have them at trade price

They are having a bit of a laugh asking you to take that many. Galaxy raz are one of my favorites, my co2 stuck on a gassed mine a while ago. I agree with Lindy. 40 would be almost I fish per ltr after gravel plants wood etc could be quite a bit of waste produced its too many even if your filter could cope.

Reactions: tim
I have a couple of aqua one nano 40 tanks. The filters are actually very big rel to the tank size.
Technically I think the tank would cope, with the usual planted tank type water changes, but it would look pretty crowded.
With good filtration and water changes, stocking limits are more a matter of aesthetics than anything else nowadays, although everyone still harks back to the limits used when sponge filters or under gravels were the norm.

But we are talking 40 raz in a 51ltr then later additional shrimp. I think it's too much personally regardless of filtration or asthetics. People used to go on surface area anyway not the filters back when I ran a small fish store.:) I've yet to see an over stocked tank on here.

Yes I thought 15-20 I'm presuming they will be wild caught so there may be some loss LFS did state no comeback
Thing is I would probably pay the same for 15 ish that I could get the 40 odd for

I may see if anyone local wants to split the cost

Reactions: tim
Spnl said: ↑
although everyone still harks back to the limits used when sponge filters or under gravels were the norm.
I was thinking more of swimming space.

Well I don't think swimming space changes much unless there's an awful lot, but I agree about 15 or 20 will look good. I have 6 magaritatus + 6 tinwini in one of mine, they don't look crowded.
Also depends on the planting etc I guess.
The only point I was making is that all 40 could live in the tank, personally I wouldn't buy that many.

Has anyone even thought about the effects on a tank by adding 40 fish in one go?
You'd probably have your 15 total within a month, due to die-off.

IMO Fish tanks look much better when few are thriving, than a massive amount are 'surviving'.

Are you limited for choice of shops near you? Lots of shops keep them in stock. I would prefer to buy acclimatised (if not actually quarantined) fish, after seeing them and how healthy they look. And then I would buy five or six per week to allow the filter to keep pace with the increasing load, and stop when the size of the shoal and the size of the tank looked nicely balanced.
I can't help wondering why your shopkeeper doesn't want to keep part of the bag to sell in the shop. They are popular fish and usually good sellers, not like ordering something really strange that he could never shift.
Maybe he has had them before, and knows his supplier sends poor quality CPDs, or there is too high a mortality rate. Call me suspicious, (cos I am) but I would be thinking about why he doesn't want half a bag of these CPDs left to sell in his shop.

Plenty of LFS but no CPDs about he said he didn't have the room he's pretty stocked out have bought from him in the past and he's a helpfull knowledgable sort of chap

Portsmouth but LFS shop is in Eastleigh where I work

Back