• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank options

Mattant1984

Hi all,
So after a complete break from fishkeeping for just over a year I've decided to get back into it.
I'm looking at going low tech nano, dirted tank (capped) with a heavy plant load.
Im looking at a few tank options but would like to see peoples experiences with the below:
(Build quality, filtration, lighting etc etc)

Fluval flex 34l
Superfish scapper 45
Superfish quadro 40
Aqua One focus 35

Many thanks 😊

Last edited:
These are pretty different from an aesthetic point of view. I'm babysitting a fluval flex 34l and imo I don't really like it much. Convenient from an all in one point of view and filtration seems adequate, but you don't really get the best view of things and I don't really like the waterline masking black dots they put on the glass. It also can scrape off. Plus it's pretty tiny, and I like emersed growth and terrestrial plants too, myself.
The superfish seems pretty well received, and very good for the budget.
Can't give you opinions on the others I'm afraid

Unlike Richard, I very much like the Flex 34. My one has been running just over three years. For me, the waterline masking is great as it disguises deposits left by my very hard water. I'm not overly keen on the supplied light and might well upgrade at some point, having said that most easy category plants have done well.

These are pretty different from an aesthetic point of view. I'm babysitting a fluval flex 34l and imo I don't really like it much. Convenient from an all in one point of view and filtration seems adequate, but you don't really get the best view of things and I don't really like the waterline masking black dots they put on the glass. It also can scrape off. Plus it's pretty tiny, and I like emersed growth and terrestrial plants too, myself.
The superfish seems pretty well received, and very good for the budget.
Can't give you opinions on the others I'm afraid
Thanks for you views on this, I do agree the superfish scaper does look more sleek and scaper style (hence the name lol) I've never used hang on the back filtration which is the only thing that bothers me really.

The fluval is a weird shape so was concerned about the curved glass on the front and wondered how that would affect viewing.

Unlike Richard, I very much like the Flex 34. My one has been running just over three years. For me, the waterline masking is great as it disguises deposits left by my very hard water. I'm not overly keen on the supplied light and might well upgrade at some point, having said that most easy category plants have done well.
Thanks for your comments, I also live in a harder water area so that's nice to know.
How do you find the viewing with the curved panel on the front? Does it distort anything?
Also how do you find the filtration on this tank?
Many thanks

For me filtration seems fine. And I don't really notice distortion from the glass. I maybe came across too negative, it's more that I prefer the open top look, but if you have this on (beside and above a bit) a desk, right at eye level, it's fine. And the waterline mask does work and well for hard water, just makes the thing feel a bit darker (less open)

Thanks for your comments, I also live in a harder water area so that's nice to know.
How do you find the viewing with the curved panel on the front? Does it distort anything?
Also how do you find the filtration on this tank?
Many thanks
The curve, slightly magnifies but doesn't distort your view.
I have the original filter foam in the centre section and extra Helix media within a mesh bag, in the left hand side. I also have filter wool at the top behind in the intake. The heater and pump are in the right hand side. Water parameters are all very stable.

Many thanks guys,
I'm going to do a bit more research and see what I can find in a couple of lfs however if anyone has any other recommendations for small tank I'd love to know

Dennerele Scaper's Tank....various sizes!
I have the Fluval Flex 34L and added a supplementary light in this thread >Hagen Fluval Flex Aquarium 34 Litre, hood light quick hack!

Back