• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank backing self adhesive

I have used D-C-Fix black film on a couple of tanks (came from B&Q iirc). Very easy to apply if you remember to spray water onto the glass first - can then adjust/reposition and press out the water with a sponge.

Regards, Mark

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Zeus

I have used the Vinyl book covering its very cheap, easy to apply and replaced if you want to change the colour.

I have one tank I used a Marine paint of a darker Marine Blue and that helps if you require to give the appearance of extra depth.

Keith:wave::wave:

I yet didn't try it myself, but when i first saw it on the market about 2 years ago, i immediately thought of tank back ground coloring.
https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

It's a rubber spray coating, after it's cured it can be pealed off again.

Thanks guys

Do like the idea of the plastic dip spray, little more effort to do OFC but then no water can get between the tank and the backing, plus goes round corners easy, Plan to do two sides, can see hardware behind tank - well the wife can - strange how I dont see it o_O :D

Do like the idea of the plastic dip spray, little more effort to do

:) Not so sure about that.. Degrease and clean the glass you have to do all the time what ever you use. Cutting foil and applying it, would be same procedure as rolling the rubber over the glass. Since, this rubber stuff also comes in pots..

But i have no idea about it's durability, never used it.. Could be a TellSell fairytale telling that it survives a carwash.

BTW u guess using plastidip aint an obligation. Black liquid pond rubber probably does the same.. Or thining black silicon kit with white spirit and apply it with a roller likely too. Both can be peeled off the glass afterwards..

Last edited:
Tanks planted ATM so would need to partial drain it at least and do like the spray idea, but really need tank empty to do a good job, But some easy to apply backing would be better than it is, even if its not applied to to glass.

PVC foil/sheets is available in mm thicknes and different colors, with and without glue.. Or acrylic also comes in colors and cut in the tanks dimensions.
It's available, but never used it, last time i boggled my mind about it in the end i decided to paint the wall behind the tank black and not use a backing at all. :) And since the tank stands about 10cm away from the wall, it gives a nice depth and i'm glad i did it..

Sorted - found some Black material - cut to size and just used the light fitting brackets, auto doser tube clamp and The HOB Dennerle filer hangs on tank to hold it in place :happy: the six guns was a swinging :lol:

Quick fix for Santa and will have so sort something out more permanent for the next rescape on it ;)

Back