• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taking back the jungle

Gill

This is the state of the garden after nearly 10 years neglect. I am doing it all on my own, and know its going to take alot of work. And will be slow going with my health.
The ivy is over 10 foot high. And the grass is taller than me and has now covered the path since this pic was taken.

I do need to put a wall back in, as we had taken part of it down as gran was next door. The new neighbours don't mind. As they don't use the garden at all, but I don't think they will like the dog having access to it. Ofcourse will get a bricky to do that from my old council engineers.

I have bought a Strimmer with metal blades so that they won't break like the basic wire. That I hate with an unbridled passion. And it's cordless for ease of use.
Also a hedge trimmer to tackle the ivy and the hedgerow at the front of the house. If that does not hack it. I think there is a big petrol strimmer somewhere amongst all the junk in the garage.

Now once this has all been cut back. I am thinking budget wise. Would it be best to put down membrane and then gravel the lot, easily need 5+tonnes to get good coverage.
There are roses 🌹 dotted about, passion flower clematis in amongst the Ivy. Pond marginal reeds and so much mint.
I will keep the roses and clematis. Everything else is going.
should I weed kill spray where I don't want any plants or grass to come back. Have a few options saved for bulk sprayers and chemicals.

The path will stay, as those slabs are pebble dashed concrete wall slabs turned upside down.

i think there might be a water feature in there somewhere aswell.

And then ofourse put a pond back In, the electrics are still there from my teens when I had a waterfall pond in the far right corner where the conifer is.

The cats old lean-to will come down. And the WC will be demolised as that's where the wet room will be constructed hopefully next summer.

If the rain stops today, I may make a start on the hedgerow at the front.

I believe the barrell pond slabs are still in place in the front garden aswell under thr gravel.

The field at the back, failed housing development is a dumping ground now. As the land owner does not care about it now. As can't build anything but a carpark for the Mandir on the corner.
He wanted to put in 20 houses and a block of flats in the far end. With 2 bed detached backing onto the garage access from ours. And the house owns alot of the access rights to the field and paths etc. So we put down concrete/slabs to mark our areas as soon as we heard about that. That was not a fun job to do.

Also I need an electrician to sort out the electrics to the garage as the roller door is tripping the main fuse board. There is a separate one in the garage.
Also dad put in cladding on the garage ceiling, and I want to take that all down to give better headroom. I really miss having a barn from when I was younger, had so much space to play in.

I am envisaging easily 4+skips to take everything away. As there is soooooo much junk hoarded in every room of the house aswell. Thankfully the room I am.taking has been kept locked, so nit much up there bar the bed, desk etc.

Attachments

• 20230624_163256.jpg
    20230624_163256.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
  • 20230624_164200.jpg
    20230624_164200.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
I’d personally avoid this as it will become a giant litter box for cats.
Lol the dog will keep them away, he Hates them. As a neighbours cat teases him alot. And purposely marks the garden at night. Or sits on the patio table and then legs it when I open the door for his wee break.
And in the past lemon peel has worked to keep them away

I’d personally avoid this as it will become a giant litter box for cats.
The cats old litter pit was heavily used by her and others. Dug a deep hole and filled with sand and grit. And she just used that. In a corner of the garden

Was in BnM buying cleaning supplies this morning. And all the new storage trays look like great fry tanks that have handles. They can then sit on the rim of your tanks, Just like Dean from Aquarium Co-op does.
And the clear acrylic Lazy Susan's gave me ideas for an interesting tryptitch style terrarium picos. Using the tall pasta storage.

If you are tackling ivy I recommend long sleaves and a face mask. It's a big irriatant when you are taking is down on a big scale. My garden was strimmed near the house for the sale photos and back to 4' high nettles/brambles with ivy etc. above your head and over old structure. It too a bit to tame, do it in stages!

Gravel can be a pain, even with membrane you get weeds in it (although shallow rooted) but it's not mowable. So lawn can be lower maintenence that you'd imagine, as you can just flatten it all (grass or not) with a mower. We have slabs, gravel, grass and in one area bark (covered over an area with cardboard sheets and barked over. Both were free - cardboard came from a framing company as they get big flat sheets and the bark chips were fresh from a tree company - saves them paying to dispose - just check what they've chipped.

I recommend drawing it out on paper and working out what access routes you need and what you want to fit where. Seating is a good one, all that hard work you want somewhere to sit and admire!

If you are tackling ivy I recommend long sleaves and a face mask. It's a big irriatant when you are taking is down on a big scale. My garden was strimmed near the house for the sale photos and back to 4' high nettles/brambles with ivy etc. above your head and over old structure. It too a bit to tame, do it in stages!

Gravel can be a pain, even with membrane you get weeds in it (although shallow rooted) but it's not mowable. So lawn can be lower maintenence that you'd imagine, as you can just flatten it all (grass or not) with a mower. We have slabs, gravel, grass and in one area bark (covered over an area with cardboard sheets and barked over. Both were free - cardboard came from a framing company as they get big flat sheets and the bark chips were fresh from a tree company - saves them paying to dispose - just check what they've chipped.

I recommend drawing it out on paper and working out what access routes you need and what you want to fit where. Seating is a good one, all that hard work you want somewhere to sit and admire!
Cheers for the advice,
Honestly though I hate grass. Mowing hurts my back and holding a Strimmer aggravates my arthritis. So it's gunna be gravel for me. So will get as much done and then do some more another day.
Have 4 days next week that ican do more.

There is 2 seating areas hidden under all that. Made from bricks and the slabs for the path.

The ivy has grown into the garage aswell

Cheers for the advice,
Honestly though I hate grass. Mowing hurts my back and holding a Strimmer aggravates my arthritis. So it's gunna be gravel for me. So will get as much done and then do some more another day.
Maybe also consider some raised beds for perennials or veg etc. Could be a good option if you struggle at ground level.

Honestly though I hate grass.
What would you think about converting all grass/gravel area to old skool meadow with a tons of mixed meadowish flowers and herbs etc? Bees and other little boys and girls will have a lot of fun in such an environment. Not to mention that there is no better pleasure than just lay down there for a little rest.

P.S. I know that Alan Titchmarsh is already gnashing his teeth at the idea, but f... him, he's just sitting in the pockets of the horticulture industry.

I've got slate around 3 borders in my garden and haven't had any weeds in 7+ years- might be worth looking at. I think it's because they're flat so interlock.
The gravel and limestone chips we've had all get weedy fast.
How would that be for the dog, worried he would slice his paws on the slate edges. As he is a clumsy/dumb thing

What would you think about converting all grass/gravel area to old skool meadow with a tons of mixed meadowish flowers and herbs etc? Bees and other little boys and girls will have a lot of fun in such an environment. Not to mention that there is no better pleasure than just lay down there for a little rest.

P.S. I know that Alan Titchmarsh is already gnashing his teeth at the idea, but f... him, he's just sitting in the pockets of the horticulture industry.
Sadly not for me atm. May decide to do in the future on one section.

So this morning after the dogs walk was done.
I made a start on the hedgerow at the front of the house. And I really hacked away at the hedge. And took it right back to the original brick edging.
Could not do the top as I am not good with ladders. So will wait till I have a solid platform to use and can walk along.
Really pleased with it, and the hedgerow filled x2 wheelie bins and 5 bin bags. I was knackered but had more to do.
Dog was beside himself whining to watch me. So opened the front door and porch. And tied him to the knewl post so he could watch what was happening.

Took a break. Then made a start on the back garden. Lord was it alot. Stopped to chat to the new neighbours to the left, which was nice. Lol she has met my ex and does not like her at all. Ex lives on the same road 20 houses away in the next block.
And asked her builder how much he would charge to just rip everything out. And he kind of ducked the question seeing it all. Did say to use a bigger commercial strimmer test would make it easier.

Dog proceeded to enjoy all the tall grass and exploring, which led him to find a hole that he could squeeze thru into next door. He loved it but the builders were petrified of him and hid in their van. Me frantically thing to call him back. I am tooo big to fit down the narrow entry, so tried to go thru the other neighbours garden and use the main alleyway gate, which someone has tied up from the outside. So could not use that, fell over in nettles.
Scrambled back. And builders said to come thru the new neighbours house and she happily let me.
All the while the dog is having an adventure as ran out into the field behind the house. A few calls and he came running back to me, which was sooooo lucky.

After putting him in the kitchen where he could watch got back to it.
Cut back as much as possible and made a path to the garage.
One whole side is absolutely choked full of reeds and rushes. Strimmer could not cut them them properly.
And the amount of junk I found was horrible piled up all over.
So it's looking like a much bigger job that I thought. So gave up. Blocked off the entry with a roofing sheet and bricks. So dog can get out again.
And raked everything into a pile. Fell over a few more anthills. And into the roses 🌹 ouchy.

Had a rest and posted on a few community sites for garden clearance services. As its just toooooo much for me to do. And I will end injuring myself.
There is just stuff dumped everywhere in the grass and reeds and Roses etc. Some areas were slimy and squelchy so don't even want to know whats down there.

New neighbour does not want the the ivy height changed. So will just clean up my side. And her side the ivy has arched over and joined with the rambling rose which looks nice.

My side the entry is clogged with ivy, and it's grown up and into the garage - yay. That will be fun.
Garage looks terrible, with junk and the floor is strewn with junk and tools. It's so sad as remember how organised dad used to keep it. Now it's a tip. The locks need changing and the door should be replaced as the frame is looking ruff.
Will need the roller door people to come and look at the electrics and why it's tripping the main board.

There is a thick grey wire draped along the fencing. I am hoping that is not the main power supply going to the garage. As that will be another job, its encased in crumbling flexi corrugated tubing.

It's gunna cost soooo much to fix all this. And it's all very daunting now.

The new neighbour spotted all the mint growing wild. And save me some for chutneys. I am going to have to cut that all back. As gran always said flowering mint is useless. Whether that's true I don't know. But it's gunna get hacked back once I can reach it.

That's all for now, not gunna think about it till next week now.
No pix taken as that was not on my mind today.

A few of the OG neighbours came out to say hello while I was working away, which was lovely As not many left now.

I am very very sore and achey, but back I'm derby. And pack more stuff to move over the next few days.
Time to tackle the lego sets breakdown

Get a few quotes and recommendations @Gill looking for a builder ,some jobs are difficult to price, l got asked to look at a back garden ,virtually a hill and putting steps ,paths etc would be costly. I suggested(young couple) the guy could do some labouring to save costs and l would call at weekends . Never got back though but good way forward saving money

Me frantically thing to call him back . . . . fell over in nettles . . . . And raked everything into a pile. Fell over a few more anthills. And into the roses 🌹 ouchy.

Blimey @Gill reading through that played back in my head like a Benny Hill sketch! 😂 I hope you're okay?!

Had a rest and posted on a few community sites for garden clearance services.

That's probably your best bet, or if any neighbours or friends have older teenage kids that have just broke up from school, they might welcome earning a bit of cash in hand at the start of the holidays to clear a garden.

Failing that:

VacantSelfreliantHammerheadbird-size_restricted.gif

Can be tricky, it will always give you chance to enjoy rebuilding them.
It's the HP hogwarts castle. I bought it 2nd hand so have butchered other sets for missing peices and molded it alot. Plus a few leds kits installed so will take a while.
Bros is going out to get me as much bubble wrap as he can find.

Blimey @Gill reading through that played back in my head like a Benny Hill sketch! 😂 I hope you're okay?!

That's probably your best bet, or if any neighbours or friends have older teenage kids that have just broke up from school, they might welcome earning a bit of cash in hand at the start of the holidays to clear a garden.

Failing that:

View attachment 208709
I'm fine, I was more concerned about the dog making an escape than safety at the time. Me being g a 5ft7 morbidly obese guy running would have looked very funny to the neighbours.
And I had flashbacks of chasing the rabbits when they would chew thru something and be in the fields. And us trying to get them back in.

I don't think I could risk fire, no idea what may be under all the ivy etc. Could be big splooody situation knowing dad's idea of storing safely.

Get a few quotes and recommendations @Gill looking for a builder ,some jobs are difficult to price, l got asked to look at a back garden ,virtually a hill and putting steps ,paths etc would be costly. I suggested(young couple) the guy could do some labouring to save costs and l would call at weekends . Never got back though but good way forward saving money
Have posted on BARK and fb groups and next-door.
Failing that, freshies who need money will work, will put up a notice on the Gurdwara notice board. That should get some interest. And will be cheap.

Ughh the price of skips is ridiculous atm.

How would that be for the dog, worried he would slice his paws on the slate edges. As he is a clumsy/dumb thing
I've had 4 dogs since putting our slate down and it's never been a problem but obviously can't say it won't be for others.

So have had a quote come thru already.
Then 25 sleepers for one side full length flower bed 625
Labour 250
Screws bolts 30
Black Jack paint 28
Unless he wants only 200 mm height then it's 13 sleepers 325
£1200

Back