• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T8 - T5 converter

hi, just had a look at that item,cant work out if the tube inserts far into fitting. would the tube temp melt fitting? for the price someone needs to try if not already lol. why do you wish to lower the diameter of your tubes out of interest? im currently tinkering with my tubes and have a lot to learn.:)

forgive me if im off the mark here but,

if you have a 30w T8 light unit and you have a 3ft 30w t8 bulb in it then you will get 30w of light
but if you used these connectors in the 30w t8 light unit and then put in a 3ft T5 which is 39w the bulb will only still have 30w of power surely so you are gaining nothing
but if you put a smaller T5 in, i.e a 2ft 24w T5 then the light unit will try and put 30w through a 24w bulb and making the bulb lifespan less.

Personally i would stick with the correct ballast for the correct bulb,

jmho

Ric

Hello Kap K, yeah the picture and description of the ones in the link are not the best but were the easiest to find. Basically the ones I have seen plug over the end of the T5 tube as tge standard fittings would. Then however on the other end has the pins of a T8 tube and just plugs in to the standard T8 fitting.
the reason for change is other it has been suggested due to my tank size and current poor T8 lighting that I upgrade to T5 (running costs are lower as well). Just testing the water so to speak.

Cheers Chris

Back