• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

suitable substrate?

briardist

Seedling
hi, i have a newly set up aquarium which is partially stocked with 2 cardinal tetra's & crystal red shrimps my goal is to stock 12 cardinals & a pair of electric blue rams, but i have come accross a problem, i have manando substrate which it appears after reading a thread about it is the reason my ph is raising after being added to my tank to around 7.6 which is far too high for all the species i wish to keep, can anyone advice me on the best course of action:
has anybody stuck with manando & over time its buffering capacity wears out?
should i change substrate, if so which is the best for keeping my desired fish/shrimps?
should i use peat in my filter?
any advice is greatly appreciated as i need to sort this issue out before adding any new livestock.

Best advice is to stop worrying about pH and worry more about keeping your tank clean via frequent water changes, substrate vacuuming and filter cleaning. That is 1000X more important than pH buffering issues, which the fish hardly care about.

Cheers,

Back