• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

suggestions.. surface flowering plants/lilies..

st.john

As title..
350ltr open top tanks (4ftx2ft floor)
Choosing plants now and...
I definitely want some surface flowering plants - no more than 3 species/plant.
I love the idea of lilies but do worry that they will over-run the tank.
Your thoughts are really appreciated!

Up to your trimming skills if something will over run or not.. :) But what do you mean with surface flowering? Exclusively floaters?

Most flowering plants are sun worshippers, not all flower that easily indoor with artificial light source.. But what ive seen and experienced, some hygrophila flowers easily, i got i believe the H. Lancea and it flowers all year long at 12 hours light. heteranthera zosterifolia also isn't that fussy about it. Lily is possible but a bit difficult regarding flow, to much of it prevents them from flowering.

my trimming skills will probably be rather good - rather neurotic! i'm liking the idea of lilies atm. flow is medium - enough to gently flutter foliage (eheim classic 350) with spray bar central.

Well what can i say, i'm a huge lily fan, have 3 tanks and all have a lily in it.. It's a mater of taste an aquarium needs a lily imho. No problems with their growth at all.. But flowering i managed only one time.. Lily needs a certain maturity to flower anyway, in average at least 2 years and need prefered conditions. Most tropical aquarium lilies in the trade are night flowers as far as i know but do not have personal experience with any of them yet..

Back