• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for peaceful softwater Cichlids that stay small . . .

Thank @tam , yeah Scarlet Badis we’re already on my fish list, are they technically Cichlids, as in should you not mix Badis with other Dwarf Cichlids?
Think they’re more closely related to labyrinth fish but look and behave exactly like cichlids. I wouldn’t mix them with dwarf cichlids as they’re too similar and wouldn’t be able to withstand any aggression. Although I could be wrong as it is a big tank.

Borelli would get my vote. I wanted to get a pair for a while but could only find opals.

If you're not bothered about them breeding, although part of the appeal is their breeding behaviour you could just get a male, which would reduce aggression.

On my ever expanding fish wish list are peacock gudgeons. If you're not set on a cichlid they're small, colourful and have interesting behaviour when kept in a group.

Borelli would get my vote. I wanted to get a pair for a while but could only find opals.

If you're not bothered about them breeding, although part of the appeal is their breeding behaviour you could just get a male, which would reduce aggression.

On my ever expanding fish wish list are peacock gudgeons. If you're not set on a cichlid they're small, colourful and have interesting behaviour when kept in a group.

I have looked at gudgeons also - I’d like another bottom dwelling species to co-habit with my Habrosus cories.

Sparking gourami maybe?

Good suggestion - I have looked that them before, but have also read some horror stories of their aggression. I also have the Chocolates already, so I’m not sure how they’d mix?

Hmmmm.
It’s probably fish dependant to some degree - the trio I had were very timid, ravenous, but timid.

They do have a reputation for being a bit like a jack Russel that I do concede.

Back