• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggest a substrate for me...

Have you looked at the idea of getting a pond prefilter and then the fx6 for ease of maintenance? seems a really sound idea for a big tank to me, as you can just washback the prefilter to the drain without opening anything up.

No sand is really round. If you look at it via a magnifying glass, quartz sand is squarish but the grain size determines if they can sift or not through it. I don't believe corys won't sift through sand if its fine enough for them to do so unless the sand is not natural quartz or is synthetic. The sand my corys really disliked is black sand from volcanic origin. It totally wasn't their thing. They did not touch it, less so than even the unipac sand. What the "sand" is made of matters to corydoras.....
i just used natural silica play sand, overall in my opinion cory's are pretty bombproof and will do well on most substrates, if you want them to exhibit the best natural behaviour put them on a fine silica play sand, but like i said i had 4 or 5 species that just weren't that into sifting, the bronze cory's on the other hand would wreck the place and make a mess of all the sand and sculpt it over time.

i was referring to gas buildup issues, never had those ever i can only assume it is because of convection currents due to overfiltration

Yes, I'd agree that could be a factor in keeping substrate healthy, the more flow, the more oxygen getting down to the substrate, better aerobic decomposition within the substrate that minimises anaerobic pockets/anaerobic decomposition.

i was referring to gas buildup issues, never had those ever i can only assume it is because of convection currents due to overfiltration, i would agree with you on most points about the cory's, but i've had a few different types of cory's on fine round grain play sand and they didnt really sift, just the odd chug here and there.

Any videos?

i don't have any videos of my old tanks due to losing a harddrive unfortunately, i would be the first to be posting pictures and videos haha!

Had to take down the tanks and take em to the fish shop unfortunately, ive not had a single tank running for about 4 years now, just set up 2 new planted tanks last week.

Back