• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate layers

Outzen

Im about to start aquascaping in my new 260 lit Juwel Vision tank. Im going to make the bottom layer higher in the back sloping down to the front (guess that is standard), but then I want to make the left side of the tank - say abt 30% of the space - significantly higher, whith big rocks and plants, sloping down - from left to right - to a free area ("river bed") - say abt 10% space in the center. The rest of the tank will be filled with roots and plants.
Substrate composition:
Layer 0; 1 inch of Pond soil
Basic layer exept for the "river bed" area

Layer 1: 2 inches of black sand – JBL Sansibar Dark, 0.2 – 0.5 mm.
This will be used to cap off the pond soil - except for the "river bed" area where this will be the sole substrate.

Layer 2: Black gravel – 2-5mm … unsure of brand – bought it second hand
Will only be applied on the left side of the tank (the "high ground")

Question: Should I just fill up with the pond soil from the bottom of the tank, ie so that Layer 0 with poind soil will be significantly higher on the left side of the tank, and go from abt 4 inch in the back to 1 inch in front on the right side, - or should I limit the pond soil layer to the planned 1 inch depth ... and use something else - like the black gravel I have - to create the levelling from back to forth and on the left side?

You can use a deep soil layer if you want. I’ve done it many times without issue. But others claim to have experienced problems. But you can safely layer soil to 2-3 inches or so at least. Perhaps safer to use filter bags filled with gravel or lava rock for the really deep areas, then a layer of soil on top, capped with sand.

1693380586525.jpeg

thks - will probably need filter bags - and put in the gravel i have (layer 2) on the high ground area of my tank (left side) - just have to figure out where to buy them :)

thks - will probably need filter bags - and put in the gravel i have (layer 2) on the high ground area of my tank (left side) - just have to figure out where to buy them :)
Try Amazon!

Back