• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate for propagation

Quetzalcoatl

Hi guys.

Just a quick question. Is there any benefit using a decent aqua soil like Amazonia when Propagating plants or is a molar clay/cat litter just as effective? Planed on bulking up prior to setting up to save cost.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Both has their benefits but if you are saving I would go for Cat Litter.

Amazonia naturally has nutrients which is the only plus I can think of.

On the other hand, Cat litter does not have nutrients form the start. But why might it be a good idea to buy this instead? Well cat litter only costs a fraction of the price, since you will be dosing ferts (at least that is what I think you will do) the plants will get nutrients from the water column and the cat litter will get nutrients from the column giving it the same properties as Amazonia. Even if you didn't plan on dosing nutrients until you have read this, the cost of nutrients and cat litter will still be less than that of Amazonia.

Hi Michael. I should of mentioned I planned on propagating the plants emersed and not submerged. The plan was to buy a pot of each species I intend on using for my scape and propagate the cuttings to bulk up the quantity. As for the substrate for the tank itself. Amazonia all the way.:thumbup:

Ah emersed. Soil will work and as foxfish and I believe in the chicken poo foxfish said even though I have not used it myself purely because using I'm not keen on poo :yuck:.

I've head/seen people sometimes having trouble with Amazonia with emersed as the ferts could cause root burn, so you may have to take that into account.

I myself have success with cat litter and peat mix with osmocote slow release.

The main thing that killed of my emersed setups in the past and some of them a few days ago is not providing a high enough humidity! I need to invest in a heat mat.

You can also use sand and ferts in the water you are going to be putting in. This way you may get less bugs/mould etc.

Back