• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stunning Paludarium

Lovely, but I can’t see this working too well in a residential building, this would do nothing good for the humidity of the house 😬

Lovely, but I can’t see this working too well in a residential building, this would do nothing good for the humidity of the house 😬
Yes, if you don’t have proper circulation (I.e sucking out the humidity from the surroundings ) you’ll be getting mold issues for sure.

Cheers,
Michael

Could be an issue, but many modern homes have plenty of ventilation especially those with air or heat exchangers. It’s building regs now. So perhaps not a problem for some.

The problem for me is the outside air averages about 60%, mould forms at 70% ish; which is a real pain. If you're running some kind of air exchange it will help, but I think local humidity behind the unit, and maybe the ceiling of that room would be in danger.

I run a dehumidifier in my house (Set to 55%), I pull out 5l of water a day, this paludarium would tip me into double digits in no time, I am sure!

The problem for me is the outside air averages about 60%, mould forms at 70% ish; which is a real pain. If you're running some kind of air exchange it will help, but I think local humidity behind the unit, and maybe the ceiling of that room would be in danger.

I run a dehumidifier in my house (Set to 55%), I pull out 5l of water a day, this paludarium would tip me into double digits in no time, I am sure!
What about PIV? Positive Induction ventilation (im sure that’s what it stands for)

I’ve heard of aquarists installing these small pumps in their lofts (they’re pretty cheap).

They pump the warmer air from the loft into your home. Apparently great for humidity etc….

What about PIV? Positive Induction ventilation (im sure that’s what it stands for)

I’ve heard of aquarists installing these small pumps in their lofts (they’re pretty cheap).

They pump the warmer air from the loft into your home. Apparently great for humidity etc….
I used to have soaking windows every morning, until I installed a PIV unit, best thing I ever did, completely dry windows.

Do you reckon it’d be much worse than an open top aquarium? I’m not so sure it would.

I think this would be worse as the water will be thinner on plants leaves, covering a greater surface area and therefore having a greater areas exposed to evaporate. I could be wrong, but my logic seems alright 😅

I’d agree. I don’t think we realise how much water evaporation we actually create on a daily basis just from Showering, bathing, kitchen sinks etc…… surely amounts to more than an aquarium?

Yep, almost certainly does, but a kitchen and bathroom normally have extractor fans. In fact, we are a primary source of condensation, just from breathing! I can't say how much an aquarium loses to evaporation with any accuracy, but I can say for sure that my study humidity was about 60% avg without an aquarium in general the same as outside, then peaked at 88% with one (in one night).

Air movement and heat are the primary solutions to high humidity, the house has a PIV unit installed, makes no difference at where I have an aquarium and plan to place a bigger one 😓 I think we're going to install an air conditioning unit this year, not just for humidity but also temperature control.

Definitely come in handy if the weather continues how it is.

It's a bit bonkers tbh, energy rates at what they are, I really don't know how the UK is going to manage as the Summers get hotter, and hotter. AC units (wall mounted) are costing about 80p an hour to run atm, hardly cost effective to run these for any long period of time. As a house we're not really sure what to do.

All that said, if I get AC, I get a very big open paludarium, no quibbles.

AC units (wall mounted) are costing about 80p an hour to run atm, hardly cost effective to run these for any long period of time. As a house we're not really sure what to do.
Solar panels coupled with a battery are a good option. With increases in fuel prices and technological advances, the payback is decreasing. Solar will more than offset the cost of running AC. A south facing roof is obviously optimum, but modern solar panels will work placed on roofs with an east and even west aspect.

Back