• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking suggestions for 60cm shallow please!

Myrtle

Hi, so I've just upgraded the tank housing my dripwall to a ‎62 x 36 x 20 cm (44l) tank so am now considering stocking :)
Water is rainwater, heavy on the tannins and almost zero to very low flow (though this can be increased). It's moderately planted with mainly slow growers although I'm adding some more pants when they arrive, including faster growing stems to grow emerged. Substrate is a mix of sand, small diameter gravel and silt/leaf litter.
Temperature can be adjusted to suit inhabitants.
I've been considering some of the nano fish such as chilli rasbora but I think they might disappear in the dark water. Emerald eye rasbora were a other consideration as the iridescent eyes would be good in the dark water but I've never kept either before.
I'm open to pretty much any and all suggestions as long as they suit the tank and parameters and they won't blend in too much.
Also happy for either a single species or a pair and a small group of dithers :)
So, what would you keep in there?

Some of the more glowing medaka could work as they are Ok in relatively small settings and really do glow.

I'm adding some more pants when they arrive
Clearly that should read "plants" as my fish go pantless!

Image for reference. Presently temporarily housing my female Betta.
20221103_202128.jpg

Lovely tank. Not a very exotic choice but you can never go wrong with neon tetras in a blackwater tank. The colour really pops. Or maybe a pair of Hongsloi? I don't know lots about them but they look like an interesting one to keep. Not sure if the tank is big enough as I haven't researched them much but they are beautiful fish.

Lovely tank. Not a very exotic choice but you can never go wrong with neon tetras in a blackwater tank. The colour really pops. Or maybe a pair of Hongsloi? I don't know lots about them but they look like an interesting one to keep. Not sure if the tank is big enough as I haven't researched them much but they are beautiful fish.
I think it might be on the cusp, size wise. I've never really kept cichlids other than Neoloamphrologus sp. but they look like nice fish! I know what you mean about Neons too but I worry they might prefer more depth?
Lovely setup, my thoughts would be Epiplatys annulatus although might be able to jump out as it's open top.
Trichopsis pumila these look great with a bit of sunlight on them and the croaking adds another dimension to fish keeping in my opinion.
Oh yes, Sparkling Gourami are a good call!
I looked at those, they're beautiful! Like the Emerald Eye Rasbora, I don't think the tank is mature enough for them yet but they're on my list of possibilities for 6 months time if there's space.
Lamp eyes?
They have those in my local Maidenhead and they would look fab, but I think they might be notorious jumpers. I'd never know if they jumped unless I saw them as my dogs would eat the evidence!

Thanks for all the suggestions :)Sparkling Gourami are a definite contender. Would they prefer to be alone (as in a species only set up) or do they like having some little fish to give them confidence?

Funnily enough my initial thought was lamp eyes when reading this but seeing it's opened topped makes them riskier. If there is good overhead cover from floaters, I think they'd be a nice species.

Edit: I was typing as you were myrtle and my reply was to seedoubleyou's suggestion but it seems you have the same opinion on lampeyes as I do.

Chili's are a blackwater fish and like neons, their colours are there to standout in a dark environment. They can look really fantastic in a natural setting, far better in a tank that is to bright.

Thanks @mort, there is also the possibility of a cover for the front (even clingfilm lol) if necessary. The back has walls for the drip wall so they can't land on the floor if that bit stays open but they could land on the lid. I might reconsider them as they would be nice.

Interesting that the chillis wouldn't necessarily blend in too. Now they're back in the running!

I have some Lampeye Killifish and they're beautiful but they are definitely jumpers and very good ones at that. I wouldn't recommend them for your tank unless you're happy to put a cover over it. They're very nervous fish and bolt away from everything. That said they're very fun to watch. They give a tank lots of life and they're super cute.

Would one of the badis species work? Bit smaller that apisto. I found the scarlet badis reasonably outgoing

Dwarf rasbora species.

It would be perfect for a wild type betta species if you had a lid!

The water level drops pretty quickly due to evap. from the drip wall, so even when I top it off, it's never that way for long!

This is it right now in its entirety (excuse the Drosera balanced on the corner!). There will be good surface cover eventually which will hopefully add a sense of security and reduce any jumping but I can definitely add a cover to the front section if needed. It might reduce the evap. with luck! It's also in a quiet corner so unless I'm doing maintenance they won't be disturbed.
20221104_144232.jpg

Dwarf rasbora species.

It would be perfect for a wild type betta species if you had a lid!
I actually had wild type betta in mind but my imbellis are in the tank next to it so fancy something different. The dwarf rasbora were my initial thought! I haven't really considered tetra, not sure why!

Back