• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's nano - "Back in the Saddle" - New photos 21/04/11

Re: Steve's "getting back on the horse" nano - Now with plan

Hi. It's a 13w light unit which I picked up at the Vivarium show in Holland recently. It's a shorter bulb than the usual compact FL's.

A few more photos from tonight. I added a drop checker at last to keep an eye on things. Also, last night I added some floating plants to see what they looked like. I quite like them, but I don't think they'll stay (intended for another tank... yes... another nano I have planned :lol:) Even managed to save some of the wonderful Hydrocotyle which got beaten up pretty severely by Royal Mail. Hopefully it will grow :)

5620139879_a11a745c60_b.jpg

5620140001_e152febe1b_b.jpg

And a better overall shot using my DSLR as a pose to my phone :)

5620728354_f3f3517b29_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Re: Steve's "getting back on the horse" nano - New photos 14

looking very good, like the use of the moss

I posted this in my other journal, but I created a video last night as a test. I need to work on my camera skills (or try to mount my phone on my tripod).

Nice one Steve. Looking good mate!

Re: Steve's nano - "Back in the Saddle" - New photos & vid 1

The Hydrocotyle sp. Japan is continuing to grow nicely now. It's starting to put out some new leaves and pearls very slowly! This makes me especially happy as I've very rarely ever had pearling on any of my scapes.

Just thinking about shrimp now. I need to wait till pay day really...

Man I love this nano,

Its re kindled my love for opti white nano sexyness haha, don't know what it is about ada but It just draws me in haha, seeing the ferts is making me want to buy some more and get my cal aqua inlet replace..... Oh and buy a mini m with light....erm my wallet says cheers steeve :D :D

Oh and the hydro sp japan is beautiful, I have some in my nano and its taking off....which is nice

I was just looking at the initial planting photo and comparing it to tonight's photo, and it's amazing to see the difference :) You might notice I've added a couple more stones on the right to break up the outline of the "egg" shaped stone :lol:

Some photos from tonight:

5641276103_52e084020b_b.jpg

5641844296_ddda37e3c9_b.jpg

And some of one of the inhabitants (finally!):

5641276337_8492216733_b.jpg

5641844656_a2d6e731c7_b.jpg

A couple more on Flickr.

Proper kushty pukka sweeeeet! Lol sorry in an odd mood.

News tones look good, plants looking super green, and you avoided the diatoms that seem to always make an appearance in the 1st couple of weeks.

nayr88 said:
Proper kushty pukka sweeeeet! Lol sorry in an odd mood.

News tones look good, plants looking super green, and you avoided the diatoms that seem to always make an appearance in the 1st couple of weeks.

Lol :)

No idea how I've avoided diatoms so far... There's still time for them :shifty: In 2 1/2 weeks I've done maybe 5 water changes. I plan to do one tomorrow, and I might even trim the stems!

Re: Steve's nano - "Back in the Saddle" - New photos 21/04/1

Great having such a small tank aye water changes are so quick.

A trim would look better imo...did you get your ferts from TGM of Ebay

Mostly from John, who sold up most of his ADA stuff a year or so ago, along with the cal aqua lily pipes on my other setup. I bought a few ADA things from Aqua-Forest in San Francisco back in 2009, before my aquascaping hiatus. I have a small bag of powersand waiting to be used :D

A day I won't forget was when I bunked work to be in for my TGM ada box of goodies!! Inc was the powersand, I felt the power just holding the bag!! Haha.

John='superman' ?? I remeber superman (don't actually know his name) sold up his nano kit witch had ada ferts.

I just found a dry shrimp on the floor :? There were 3 in there to start off with, but I've only ever seen 2 at the same time. One was a bit sickly I think, after making a bid for freedom when I was rescuing it from my canister filter. It ended up on the patio floor and was difficult to retrieve so I'd figured he wouldn't last long.

Oh well. I plan to buy some from Andy next week :)

Having some algae issues due to a delay in water changes. I've had a pretty busy weekend so I wasn't able to do a change as expected. I've seen a little hair algae, gda, gsa and diatoms (finally). I'm planning on doing water changes ever other day for a while.

I also bought 5 sakura's from Maidenhead Aquatics, Crowland. I was in Lincolnshire on Sunday/Monday for a christening, so couldn't resist the opportunity to visit! Nice shop with very good fish :) Plants looked a little sorry for themselves, but I bought 4 pots of crypts (large specimens too!) for a good price.

The Sakuras seem to have settled in nicely, so I have a grand total of 9 shrimp in the tank now! ;) I need to get trimming too!

9 shrimp from two different gene pools sounds like a good starting point for a colony :thumbup:

Matt do you have an auto detect for words 'moss' and 'shrimp' ?? Haha

That's a shame to hear about the algae mate, sure yourll pass it soon enough. Nice one on the shrimp too, bet there happy to see some fresh faces :D :D

Get some pics up before you trim, would like to see it all grown. :)

auto detect, ha ha, love it.

Before and after pics of the trim is a great idea :)

Back