• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stem plants!

rikstar

Hi guys, in a few weeks. I will be coming up to trimming my planted aquarium for the first time in a few weeks (mainly the stems). Now i was wondering, can i replant them and get another plant going?

Most conventional stem plants can be cut and the tops re planted, the older growth that's left behind should, assuming growing conditions are favorable sprout new side shoots from the leaf node, these can then be cut and re planted once they reach 4/5".

If you look at this picture you can see where the roots and new growth sprout, that's the leaf node.
20240122_201756.jpg

What you want to do is cut the stem in between the nodes.
Taking-a-cutting.jpg

Carefully remove the leaves on the first node in the top section of the plant and push this gently into the substrate. This should then grow into a new plant.
Don't remove the leaves on the bottom part of the plant and all being well a new shoot/s will emerge.

A decent article on the subject can be found here.

you can also stick cut tops back to the main plant mass so it doesn't looks too rough freshly cut, and after you get visible new growth, only then you can re-plant them in soil

Back