• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stem Plants That Don't Require Regular Replanting

Harry Muscle

I've always stayed away from stem plants because most of them seem to require regular replanting (cut the top off, remove the bottom, and replant the top) to stay looking good. Styrogene repens is so far the only stem I've tried that didn't require such regular maintenance to stay looking good.

Are they any other stem plant species that either stay a certain height naturally or can be trimmed simply by cutting them shorter without having to replant the tops ... and still stay looking nice.

Thanks,
Harry

Hi
Have U considered Hygrophila Araguaia it stays pretty low, its easy to grow and is not very rampant grower too
Regards Konsa

Much depends on the conditions you supply - if you look at high energy systems, there are many stem plants that when cut will quickly fill back in; if you look at subsistence systems, there often isn't sufficient energy stored (& not so much readily available carbon etc) for plants to quickly regrow stem & leaf, so then you'll tend to observe "better" results with many stem plants by trimming & replanting tops

Note that stem plants often have minimal root systems (compared to crypts, swords, grasses) & "prefer" nutrient uptake from the water column - for which a healthy metabolically active leaf is better suited than an older or compromised leaf; a thick healthy stem will have more nodes ready to burst into leaf than a thin splindly stem
S repens has quite a substantial root system

At some point most stem plants get "tired" so sites such as Tropica suggest replanting some of the trimmed tops - it certainly avoids that shorn look
Back When, Amano would recommend trimming a third of the stems at each interval (whether you were trimming every few days or few weeks), again this leaves the tank looking consistently presentable

Regardless there are some (few) stem plants which are recommended to be maintained through top trimming & replanting most times

In either type of tank, I'm assuming a balanced system with healthy plants & minimal algae

I believe all Hygrophilas can produce new leaves and branch out when cut back.

If you actually want to have less maintenance every week you can also opt for sth like valisnerias or cyperus Helferi if you like the look.

My tank is full of stem plants. I trim and replant the top to make it bushier. But I don’t remove the bottom half of the plant. I’ve had some of my plants for over a year and they look great, so not sure why you’d throw away a perfectly healthy and rooted part of the plant?

Bylxia Japonica is a stem plan but requires no cutting. It grows to form a ball like habit and won’t reach the surface.

Back