• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne Repens care?

Sacha

I have just ordered a 1- 2- Grow! pot of Staurogyne Repens.

I have never kept this plant before so was looking for some advice about how to plant it and how to maintain and look after it.

What is the best way to trim/ propagate it?

If anyone has bought the 1- 2- Grow Staurogyne before, how many plants did you split it into?

I've used the 1-2 grow stuff on many occasions, the hardest thing is actually planting. As the root structure isn't great, you have to push it quite far into the substrate. What I normally do is split it in 8-10 bits and plant that way. You will get some floaters, but just re plant. IMO this is the best 1-2 grow plant. It adapts so easily to submerged life, the potted stuff doesn't.

It'll proper gate by itself. But leave it a good few weeks before you start trimming it. Trim it as you would a stem plant, just trim the tops and re plant.

Great, thanks for a clear and thorough reply.

I don't actually trim stem plants in that way. I uproot them, cut off the bottom half, and replant the top half.

I used to trim the top and replant, but I found that the bottom half would just branch out elsewhere and just get lots of ugly aerial roots.

Its perhaps your advantage to trim the top and replant while leaving the bottom in the substrate with S. Repens, especially if you have it as a foreground as it will create the bushy affect quite nicely.

Edit, and Mike just beat me to it. :)

The reason you'd normally do this is that you actually get propagation quicker, see diagram...

vJmO3Nk.jpg

This way, you develop two stems from the original plant, and you have the top from the other plant ready to go for the next propagation.

Yep, makes sense. I will try that then. Thanks guys.

I still tend to get a lot of aerial roots which look messy. Looking at people's tanks on this site, there are no aerial roots in site! Is there some secret about how to prevent them?

I purchased Staurogyne repens two weeks ago for my new tank in the Tropica 1-2-grow format... really amazing the number of plants in it. I would say around 20 or 25. In the pot you can read that you have to cut the whole portion in 6 smaller portions. But if you are patient and you take your time to split it in 3-4 plants portions, you will have plenty of them and plenty of space to fill in your tank.
One suggestion, use the best tweezers you have. You really want for this work tweezers with 0,5 mm points. It will make your life easier as you won't do any harm around when planting.

Yep, makes sense. I will try that then. Thanks guys.

I still tend to get a lot of aerial roots which look messy. Looking at people's tanks on this site, there are no aerial roots in site! Is there some secret about how to prevent them?
Trim them off the plant and remove them mate, won't harm the plant ime and can improve flow around the base of the plant.

When I ordered some in November it was the first time I had used the 1-2 Grow plants. I ordered 2 pots and cut each pot into 7/8 portions. I then just planted the clumps into my tank in groups without any real focus on how they would look.

I'm not using CO2, only liquid carbon so growth has been quite slow. This morning, now that they are fully established and the stems have grown some meaning they are easier to plant I have uprooted them and divided them up properly.

I must of had easily 100 stems to replant. This has now been replanted in my main tank and also in my shrimp tank. I also did the same with some Ammania sp Bonsai that I ordered at the same time.

Next time I order some 1-2 Grow pots I'll be doing exactly the same.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back