• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne Repens …

Ossie

I am having difficulty achieving the healthy growth and vibrant look that I see in photos and YouTube.
Mine look a bit sad …
My research suggests they need 12 hours of good light but obviously thay would create other problems in my tank …

It is not a case of fertiliser or water peramiters as my other plants are doing well …

I run the Twinstar S 3 ramping up to 60% for 8 hours.

Should I raise this to 70% or just take the whole lot out …

there is some soil dust on them as I reshaped yesterday but they also have brown algae. No other plants have this …

Attachments

• FE5A3D03-C41A-4235-BB26-CAD0DDF30501.jpeg
    FE5A3D03-C41A-4235-BB26-CAD0DDF30501.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 127
  • 0871375E-4D62-460B-A484-0AFE55539604.jpeg
    0871375E-4D62-460B-A484-0AFE55539604.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 125
I tried for a long time to grow this plant unsuccessfully until all of a sudden it has recently clicked and I have been able to grow it with and without CO2. Fast growth with CO2 and a fair bit slower without but doing well.

The only change I made was to swap to daily controlled ferts via a pump and I also stopped adding buffers to my water and just use straight tap water. My tap water is 0-1Kh, 3-4Gh so nice and soft.

I know you think it isn't water but these are the only changes I made and it has worked. What is your water like and what ferts do you dose?

Oh and I am also in low light for 8hr photoperiod as no CO2 now.

What is your hardness? Could be that the plant doesn't like hard water?

Would be interested to know if anyone is growing this in hard water and if so what are their tank details.

Or it could just be pure luck and changing my water had no effect, the plant just took this time (although I had tried many times previous with no success.)

Unfortunately, I've got no personal experience with Staurogyne, but this conversation aroused my interest. There are species which hate higher pH and/or bicarbonates (alkalinity). Both have rather different physiological effects on plants. The problem with CO2 injection is that you may push down pH but alkalinity remains roughly the same, i.e. high.
In this case, though, I can't see any problem with nutrient deficiency. I rather assume the tank is just young and diatoms (and possibly various algae) need time to disappear.

You could be right, the tank is young.
I have two Siamese Algae eaters but they do not touch the brown stuff.

should I add an Amano shrimp or just let it run it’s course …

It's not very helpful, just to say I failed with this, and then recently I left some floating when it arrived, for a month, due to circumstances, and it's done very well, very strong roots, and is now planted. It's a wee trick with some plants. Maybe it will die on me now...

I've had staurogyne do well in one tank, and die off in others with same tap water and ferts, so I can only assume for me it was directly linked to co2 and lighting.

I had medium/strong lighting and 24/7 co2 for the staurogyne that flourished in the tank below.

Ps, 7 hours photoperiod if I remember correctly, no ramping function.

PXL_20210815_173749999~2.jpg

Ok … I Will not remove them just. There are plenty of other areas to keep me busy … I just received two Topica wavy green Bucephalandra today …
They are very beautiful.
my problem now is where to place them …

The one i have is tempramental; it will grow really well for a while and then suddenly die down. Two things I've noticed as changes over time - first it definitely hates when it gets shaded and 2nd it seems to want a certain type of nutrient - i've been trying random root tabs and it seems to respond more positive to some than others - but not listing names here since i need more time and more controlled environment for verification. It is definitely one of the more 'sensitive' plants i have to changing parameters.

It definitely dosnt need 12 hours of light. My tank in this video had 9 hours and the s.reopens grew in partial shade.

It is a light loving plant though

Back