• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogene repens carpet?

Vardo

How is the best way to get Staurogene repens to carpet? Does anyone know? Is it a slow creeper that spreads by itself or will I need to fill the area I want covered from the start?

My experience with it is that it doesn't send off runners, exactly, but it is a very short stem plant that has a tendency to send side shoots from the main stem. These side shoots can run horizontally for a while, but they won't get very far. So I find it best to cover all of the intended area sparsely and let it fill in the gaps by itself.

@LMuhlen is correct. You would need to pinch side shoots and plant them elsewhere by hand to cover the ground. Pogostemon helferi is similar in a way, it will just grow in place, but much more densely.

My experience with it is that it doesn't send off runners, exactly, but it is a very short stem plant that has a tendency to send side shoots from the main stem. These side shoots can run horizontally for a while, but they won't get very far. So I find it best to cover all of the intended area sparsely and let it fill in the gaps by itself.

@LMuhlen is correct. You would need to pinch side shoots and plant them elsewhere by hand to cover the ground. Pogostemon helferi is similar in a way, it will just grow in place, but much more densely.
Awesome, I was thinking as much just from the growth I've seen so far. Thanks both! Much appreciated

Back