• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spyrogyra

Clado is not only gritty to the touch it also has a typical pungent smell if you rub it between your fingers.. (And put it under your nose) :)

But i sertainly don't know if clado is the sole stinker among the algae.. But gritty feel and sharp smell probably? Narrows it down pretty much.

The commonly found Oedogonium sp. also feels more like silky.

Last edited:
I don't know why but reading through this is remaining me of pond blanket weed treatments... need someone far better versed in the differences between the pond and aquarium hobby to tell me if these natural products would help and be suitable here... stuff like barley extract...

Could mollies eat em? Worth a try....

H2O2 seems to do the trick:clap::joyful::D
I added 15 ml 3% 5 times a week, coupled with removing manually. It seems i am winning the war.
I started with adding some extra shrimp, there were 10 amano's ( still youngish), 2 Macrobrachium brasiliense and about 10 mixed, tiger, cherry, black/blue. These didn't help (or made a visible dent).
Then i lowered the light level a bit and started adding H2O2, growth slowed and seems to be halted now. Don't have to remove large masses anymore, they are gone, there still is some "hair" around. I will continue with the peroxide and see wether the shrimp remove it when it's "killed of/damaged" by the peroxide. Added a bit of light again.
It may look horrible to some, but it's heavenly compared to 3/4 weeks ago.
20190118_091008.jpg
20190118_090946.jpg
20190118_090930.jpg

Back