• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sparkling gourami's and shrimp?

There utter pants !

They spend all day looking at the larger shrimps and looking for shrimplets in the java moss :thumbdown:
They seem to scare the bigger ones and they dart off :(

They will be bagged up and taken to the LFS over the weekend .

Antipofish said:
KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Does that mean "yes get them"... Or. "never pay that much for them" Antipofish?
LOL :lol:

Kris

Biting someones hand off for a price means you take it lol. Its a great price. If you dont get them I may call them tomorrow and ask if they will ship them hahah. (Just kidding, but if they were nearer I might be racing you to the shop).

Mine were only £4.00 a pair or £2.50 each , the shrimp hunting monsters !

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Hi guys,

Saw two lovely sparkling/croaking gourami's today in the LFS and at 3 pound each didn't think they were a bad price.. just wondering though - would they be ok with my RCS ?
thanks,
Kris
You saw both types or were they labelled as the same thing?

Hmm, wish I'd read this thread before buying a pair and putting them in a 12l with my caridina meridionalis. The shrimp spend the whole time on the sponge covering the filter inlet. I thought it was just because they were feeding there but have realised it is because it is in the corner and near the filter outlet. This makes it hard for the gouramis to stalk them.

As soon as a shrimp goes on a wander the pair of fish start hunting it and then start pecking at it. However, they are such cool fish it is going to have to be the shrimp that go (to another tank) rather than the fish.

Can anyone suggest an invert algae eating tank mate for these guys? I was thinking a shrimp big enough that they wouldn't bother. Considering red nose but I find them really sensitive and are very good jumpers and this tank is open topped. Any other varieties? Don't have to be breedable. Or am I stuck with snails?

Sparkling Gourami are stunning but vicious little things.
IME they will take on anything they think they can eat. And will decimate a shrimp population. They like to swim around in a gang and choose a target. I have witnessed them gang up on an Angel fish in the past and nip/pull the ventrals on them. They Really go for festiviums/angels or any fish with long ventrals. Shrimps Feelers are just to tempting for them not to be attracted to them.

Back