• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spaghetti Monster - UNS 45S Riparium

hydrophyte

Spaghetti Monster - UNS 45S Riparium

With some continued observations and thought, I've decided to shuffle several setups around. My Tufa Waterfall Biotope is going into a bigger tank, leaving this UNS 45S on its 80-20 aluminum stand free for a new project.

22-IX-23-tufa-spring-I.jpg

This aquarium is a perfect size and shape (450mm X 280mm X 180mm) for a nano riparium. Using mainly materials and a few plants I had on hand, I put together a simple layout. The root structure is a couple pieces of spider wood cable-tied together and positioned with fiberglass rods and a polyethylene base. Riparium plants are from yet another project now taking a different direction. Sand is reef tank aragonite with Brightwell KoraLagoon (also just regular aragonite) for added texture.

I considered arranging a few pieces of seiryu stone underwater, but decided I just like the sand and wood contrast the best. Depending on what kind of livestock I introduce sometime later, I might add a few hides or other structure in the shaded area underwater.

Plants are Pogonatherum crinitum, Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' and Hygrophila lancea 'Araguaia'. These three all grow very well in riparium-style plantings. I think they will start looking good with about 50% more foliage. The Hydrocotyle is intended to sprawl across the roots and blend the layout together.

This enclosure is filled with water to the top. Does anybody here have any less-likely-to-jump nano tank fish ideas?

6-III-24-Spaghetti-Monster-I.jpg

6-III-24-Spaghetti-Monster-II.jpg

6-III-24-Spaghetti-Monster-III.jpg

6-III-24-Spaghetti-Monster-IV-jpg.jpg

6-III-24-Spaghetti-Monster-V-jpg.jpg

6-III-24-Spaghetti-Monster-IX.jpg

Last edited:
A few more pics...

I'm using this new riparium planter design. I wonder about adding a black background to the tank to really hide them, although as the plants grow in they will become less and less visible in the shadows.

Also wondering about botanicals for the underwater area. 🤔

6-III-24-Spaghetti-Monster-VII-jpg.jpg

27-II-24-Horses-VI.jpg

27-II-24-Horses-IX.jpg

27-II-24-Horses-VII.jpg

6-III-24-Spaghetti-Monster-VI-jpg.jpg

Update!

The plants are growing in nice. I added a single Spathiphyllum to the arrangement.

23-IV-24-Spaghetti-Monster-I.jpg

I think the layout looks pleasing with this simple botanicals combination to decorate the underwater area.

I've also added fish and they look happy in there so far.
  • 3x Daisy's Rice Fish (Oryzias woworae)
  • 2x Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila)
The fish really like the roots cape and overhanging plants, but they are sensitive to movement out in front of the tank, so I don't have any good pics of them yet.

I need to add a black background to better hide the planters and filter.

23-IV-24-Spaghetti-Monster-Ii.jpg

That's all for now. I think the planting will be looking good with about 50% more foliage.

Beautiful build as usual. Both fish species will love it in there. I think you could get away with a few more rice fish. They'll perhaps be a little less skittish in a larger group.

Beautiful build as usual. Both fish species will love it in there. I think you could get away with a few more rice fish. They'll perhaps be a little less skittish in a larger group.

Yeah I could maybe fit a couple more rice fish. Though they are going to grow. a bit more. I also wondered about a single specimen of something else as a centerpiece fish. Any ideas?

Dario Dario springs to mind but they're perhaps best at least kept as a pair, that is if you can find a female. But Sparkling gourami make pretty decent centerpiece fish in a small aquarium.

Back