• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sourcing wild betta splendens

Bethan

Seedling
Hi there,

I am a second year biologist at Oxford University and am about to start my research into betta splendens. My supplier told me, at the 11th hour, that all the fish he promised me are dead and to replace them I need to pay him triple the price.
Does anyone have any adult wild betta splendens? Or know of anyone who may have them, or know a supplier in Asia who could send them and import them?
I have contacted many many people in the UK (colin Dunlop, lisa bradshaw etc) who have promised to help, but do not have any themselves.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Bethan

Also ask in your maidenhead aquatics as they are starting to get the wild ones in more recently. Seen some channoides for sale.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I'm slightly confused - isn't OP looking for wild Betta splendens?
this is a very different thing than looking for wild Betta siamorientalis or smaragdina or imbellis or mahachaiensis which are part of the splendens complex & appear with some regularity on the (fish) lists
In contrast, actual wild B splendens is much less commonly listed (and shipping of listed fish can be challenging as well)

I have seen Colin list them in the past, he will look out for them (if asked) & likely has contacts that bigger shops such as Maidenhead don't deal with

This is a pretty typical wild Betta list
- note the absence of any B splendens complex
OP if you find a seller such as the one I linked, you then need to arrange shipping through a UK transhipper (such as Colin or Lisa etc) - you can also approach the various transhippers & request specific fish & they will contact their (usual) sellers
Also look for any local anabantoid clubs

Lisa Bradshaw is a transhipper and deals with thai and indonesian fish sellers. I have used her as a transhipper when buying fish from Leebunbetta.com You can also buy fish from certain sellers on Aquabid and tranship through Lisa although you would have to ask her for a list of trustworthy sellers. She has a facebook page and you can find out more on 'Betta Splendens UK' facebook page. It is very expensive though with a standard hmpk costing £20 after you've paid seller fees plus tranship fee on each fish plus postage on top. You can find sellers of uk bred fish on facebook page' BSUK UK Sales/Wanted'

I have contacted many many people in the UK (colin Dunlop, lisa bradshaw etc) who have promised to help, but do not have any themselves.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :sorry:
I skipped over this on my initial read

Whatever you do, just block anything from Shane. Just avoid the Drama Associated with His Business.

Hi Gill, i know this is a 5 year old comment thread but i was googling about wild bettas in the UK and this popped up. I believe i may be about to order a wild betta from this shane you mentioned and i just wanted to know if you could elaborate on this more? Just want to make sure i’m supporting good businesses

Hi Gill, i know this is a 5 year old comment thread but i was googling about wild bettas in the UK and this popped up. I believe i may be about to order a wild betta from this shane you mentioned and i just wanted to know if you could elaborate on this more? Just want to make sure i’m supporting good businesses
just that they are terrible sellers and their reputation last time I had any dealings was Mud. if they have improved over the years then good for them, but honestly i would steer clear of them.

I would advise you to look on BAND, there are plenty of reputable breeders on there with Wild Bettas.

Back