• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Something... Something... Shallow Tank

Ady34

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Cool, hopefully enough to go on in this journal for other folks to start a UG setup with some confidence.

Need to get it to at least a year before we can really say anything of merit though.
It’s made me consider using it in my next ‘rivergumi’ set up. Stripped the plants from my 600 last night ready to empty tonight for rescape. Going to be utilising some wild rhino stone and was considering a single species plant….maybe UG could be the one.
Im going to utilise new Tropica soil so I’m guessing with the ammonia theory id be best dark starting with a mature filter if I go down this route?
Great little scape Geoff and a frat journal too, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge :thumbup:

Geoffrey Rea

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Stripped the plants from my 600 last night ready to empty tonight for rescape.

It appears we’re on the same timetable @Ady34 😉

1623236679506.jpeg

Half way through. Needs a final clean before rescaping but keeping the sump ticking over for today.

Going to be utilising some wild rhino stone and was considering a single species plant….maybe UG could be the one.

That would be stunning 🤩

Im going to utilise new Tropica soil so I’m guessing with the ammonia theory id be best dark starting with a mature filter if I go down this route?

Mature filter, dark starting with just soil and daily water changes worked out well here. Also using floaters to mop up the water column initially after dark start and background Co2 24/7.

On the Co2 part I’m unsure just how much it matters for the UG, but the lower pH range between photo and dark period from running 24/7 seems to suit its food sources.

Geoffrey Rea

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
15 weeks:

1623401622992.jpeg

Lowering the lighting has resulted in greener UG. Haven’t noticed any difference in leaf form, just an increase in chlorophyll.

At a place now where trimming is on the cards. Not really sure how to go about this. May test a corner and trim like eleocharis and see what happens before committing tank wide. Noticed others cut strips away from the edges and let it recolonise, but this seems to be done to sell portions on rather than for any other sensible reason.

Spread is good though, the UG is even beginning to grip onto some of the rocks:

1623401887760.jpeg

Still just one solitary flower:

1623402010296.jpeg

Hoping for a few companions in the coming months. The flower coincided with the warmer weather. Room temperature is 25C or above during the day. Near the light it will be locally warmer.

The shrimp are also doing well. Noticed they’ve been breeding whilst away for a week. Adults are no longer berried and there’s some babies dotted around the tank:

1623402227532.jpeg

Hope everyone is looking forward to the warm and sunny weather this weekend 😎

Geoffrey Rea

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Sorry to keep bleating on about this flower but was wondering when it would change colour to match other reference photos:

1623773969588.jpeg

Finally turning purple.

1623774045019.jpeg

There is quite a bit of intricacy lost by using a phone, will have to dig out a camera for a proper macro shot.

1623774278169.jpeg

Wish came true as well. There’s another flower on it’s way as you can see above, just at the bottom of the shot.

Geoffrey Rea

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
I’m finally growing some in my 45p, hope it will continue this way :)

Love, love, love hearing this @CooKieS

The stuff is widely sold in in vitro pots everywhere, but not much consensus on how to grow the damn stuff successfully. It’s high time we started kicking ass and taking names so there’s some comprehensive agreement on caring for UG. Keep us posted 😉