• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snails!! Good or bad?

Hi all, Definitely looks like Succinea. They are quite common in the UK around muddy ponds etc.

The other option is the "Wandering Pond Snail" <"(Radix balthica)"> they also have a very wide basal shell whorl and they arrive in all sorts of unlikely places, but yours looks more like Succinea.

cheers Darrel

In our language it is just called Oval pond snail.. Didn't know about its wandering emersed habbits.. :) This is Radix balthica submersed i guess.. It has indeed a simular shell, i think the pointed triangular shaped feelers other Lymnaea have as well are the most obvious destinct differences..
DJS-2104-radix-ovata166295.jpg

Seen from above
o_19ogmkd2knrj1rt8fkvsdp1j7l2d.jpg

Last edited:
I have been inundated with bright orange ramshorn snails since introducing them a year ago in order to help with tank some pesky algae - boy did they make short work of it.. I've also see them 'clean' an algae covered anubia to shining brightness. if I ever have or see algae issues I always drop the photo period and introduce a few ramshorns. they are voracious and certainly my lot don't eat the healthy plant leaf.
I gather they're good for shrimp as well as being detritus hoovers. although they do smother any food i intentionally place for the inverts so it does pay to make sure the shrimp get a chance at feeding time.

the population very near came to dangerous levels in my first red cherry tank but ten mins a day for a week pulled it back. I was going to sell some on, they absolutely love mulberry and spinach, and seemingly multiply in days.

"Wandering Pond Snail" <"(Radix balthica)"> they also have a very wide basal shell whorl and they arrive in all sorts of unlikely places

Haha found me one yesterday, in a bucket of water with rotting vegitation from last year. Last year they were cleaning out a local pond from Hornwort, took some and threw it in a bucket.. 7 months later i see this crawling around.
DSCF8307.jpg

Simular body features, but very different house compaired to the great pond snail. Of course it is in my tank now.. :thumbup:
DSCF8299.jpg

Back