• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small red plants for low tech tank

rainbowhead

Seedling
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can name a few small red plants for my tank. 240 litres reasonably planted. Dose with trace nutrients once a week and at the moment liquid carbon once a day.

I am currently looking to buy CO2 but until then are there any good red plants that would thrive in my tank.
All my other tanks are thriving and need to be cut twice a week.

:) What do you consider small in a 240 liter tank? One of the smallest typical red plants is the Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' grows 5 to 10 cm they say.. There are some nice red rotala's some of them also don't get to large.. I got the Marcandra Mini (T2) goes about 20 cm they say, mine is a few cm larger already. Also got the Rotala Mexicana Goyas, can also get pretty red in the proper conditions and doesn't get larger than about 5 cm, they like to bend to the substrate only dense patches have upright stems suporting each other. The Rotala indica also has a red hue and only grows 15 cm they say but mine are over 20 cm yet. Still got 41 watt on 43 liters, also i do not get them realy red, maybe it's a iron thing.. :)

You might want to take a look at http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants they have a very nice rather large complete database of aquatic plants in alphabetic order.. There are many red aquatic plants,,

Thank you, that Web page looks good.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I currently have two monster amazon swords, java fern, valisneria spirallis along the back of the tank, hygrophila polysperma sunset, hygrophila difformis and a lily of some kind that grows immensely fast.
Just after something a little redder. Could well be adding CO2 sometime soon.

Apologies for the spelling............

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back