• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small pond using old fish tank? Advice needed

Kaliilo

Hiya guys,
Just wondering, I have an old fish tank that I won’t be using for anything and I wanted to know if it’s possible to set up a small outside pond type thing with it?
If it is would I need filters? Heater? Would it need to be dug into the ground?

Just wondering if it’s possible as I’ve always wanted a little water feature outside

Thanks in advance
Amy

You could use it as a basis for a water feature no problem, but not a pond. Reason being, water features do not need heaters or filtration and can be either in or on the ground. Bear in mind that as it will be outside, and all surfaces exposed to the sun, it will not be long before the water turns green.

Also, would not be suitable in the winter, when expanding ice would easily break the glass. You could have some kind of temporary feature though, in the warmer months.

Plastic tubs are a more suitable material for outdoor mini ponds and the like.

I have two old tanks, both around 300litres, made from 10mm glass which are outside but slightly protected by walls. One has been outside for 15 years through some bad winters and despite being frozen solid occasionally is still surviving.
I use them for dapnia and have heen plagued by thread algae and cladophora but haven't used any treatments.
They are both on polystyrene bases above ground level.
Have a go ..
Cheers
John

Check this series out for how simple it can be to set these up. Lucas is a bit of a funny character but there's some good info in these vids.

Back