• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

shy fish

Anthony89

it seems my fish are being very shy and hiding in and amongst the plants alot of the time.

i keep 20 black neons, 5 golden pencil fish, 6 corydora juhllis, 2 sae's and some apistogrammas.
their in a 4ft tank x 2ft tall. Im using a dd razor light with one arcadia plant bulb and one guisemann midday bulb, suspended 6" from the surface. These are on for 7 hours a day. im using pressurized co2. drop checker is lime green/yellow. anyone else ever had problems like this?

thanks ant

I don't see any reasons why your fish could be shy as you said yourself the tetras are dither fish so the danios aren't going to be needed. Perhaps the location of your tank may affect how active they are? By that I mean if theres a lot of movement around the tank like people walking past etc.

Nope not much activity. Even when sitting back on the sofa the other side of the room they all hide. I have to check to see if there still in their lol. At feeding time they all dart up to the surface, and then straight back to hiding.

Lack of oxygen can make fish lethargic, and wary of being in wide-open spaces. Maybe try a bit of surface agitation.

How long have the fish been in the tank?

7+ months after moving the tank. Will try and higher my spray bar abit and see how it goes. I can see the surface rippling. Dont want to loose too much co2 through agitation.

Edit: never see the fish go to the surface gasping.

With lights off there still very timid.

They have lots if cover. One side theres a hygrophilia? To the surface. And the other side a coupke of large amazon swords.

Is that the total plant mass? Try adding some more fast growing stem plants. I might be wrong, but I'd be inclined to say that you want a few more plants to use the CO2 being pumped into the water, otherwise it's just gathering until it is gassed off.

No, theres plenty of plants, crypts, sp japan, riccia anubis and a stem that im not sure of amd some tennelus

Back