• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp like Database.

I should have some yellows ready in the next month. Currently got plenty of heavily berried females and if all shrimplets survive, i'll need to move some on.

Just to say this is brilliant! I'm a huge shrimp fan and trying to find local suppliers to start the population in my newly setup 190... Other half wants CRS's and I'm looking for something that'll show up on the cat litter substrate.

CRS/RCS should show up on a cat litter substrate i think your best bet would be to go with RCS ( red cherry shrimp) first until you get used to keeping them, CRS are a lot more demanding when it comes down to water parameters ect.

Mitchell :D

I had to zoom in about 7 times to read the the writing so i can't put that up, if people want to see (it is good though) the chart click the link above!

mitchelllawson said:
CRS/RCS should show up on a cat litter substrate i think your best bet would be to go with RCS ( red cherry shrimp) first until you get used to keeping them, CRS are a lot more demanding when it comes down to water parameters ect.

Mitchell :D

I've got RCS and Amano in my smaller tank. New tank is 6.4pH & 4dKh (a touch under) so should be pretty ideal for CRS's - if I can find them at a decent price (£19 for two is the best I've found locally)

Id recommend buying them from someone on here, what grade are you looking for?

I prefer them aswell, they aren't as fussy as any of the higher grades and should do fine in most water, i mean, my lfs keeps them, there terrible :L

PeteA said:
mitchelllawson said:
Id recommend buying them from someone on here, what grade are you looking for?

Call me a heathen but I really like grade A & S, I think they have a more pleasing balance of white & red on them - but that's just me :D
Actually have to agree with you here :lol:

mitchelllawson said:
I prefer them aswell, they aren't as fussy as any of the higher grades and should do fine in most water, i mean, my lfs keeps them, there terrible :L

Wish I could find a lfs near me that does! There's one that has a tiny tank of A's for £18.99 for two and that's it. In fact the only easily available shrimps are Amano, Bamboo and Mountain :s

My lfs is so bad at keeping livestock the fish/invert that survive in there can survive anything haha, they sell them for £7.99/per shrimp aswell, Fair enough if they were S+ grades but there not. Also RCS are £3 each :crazy: :thumbdown:

Really annoys me when shops keep fish in poor conditions. There was one pet shop in south wales that did (although the last time I went in there they clearly had been reported as they no longer had tropicals). I need to check my bank balance but might treat myself to some CRS's or RCS this weekend from the aquatics place about 25 minutes away. Locally shrimp just seem to have fallen out of favour as when I started off last year there were lots of Red Cherries about!

For what its worth from my experience, I personally don't use aquatic stores for shrimp, they are often kept inadequate water conditions, kept with the wrong plants, over priced and the majority of sales staff ignorant to the specific needs to the different species of dwarf shrimp. I would recommend UKAPS members, or Tomasz from http://beeshrimp.co.uk/. I have bought over 30 shrimp in the last 12 months, all excellent specimens, perfectly packaged and all done from the comfort of my own home. :thumbup: . I'm sure other members could vouch for beeshrimp.

Always buy from UKAPS members or from other forums, i don't trust those sites anyway. Unless i was buying plants im not so fussed about but Fish/Inverts never have never will.

Back