• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I Use Rainwater?

Callum

So I've recently put some Colombo flora base in my 25L tank. I haven't filled it up yet put it claims to reduce the ph to around 6.5. This is a huge problem for me as my tap water comes out at about pH8. This will surely cause some problems with water changes. My rain water is around 6.6-7pH and if I used this then maybe the pH swings wouldn't be so bad? The water runs off the roof in to a large rain barrel. So would the rain water be safe to use? I am also looking for superior plant growth with Eleocharis parvula as I'm going high tech so will the rain water be ok for this? Or will my tap water be better. I will be dosing CO2. Thanks in advance.
Callum

Dosing pressurised co2 should take your PH down around 1 full unit. Combined with your substrate It shouldn't be too bad unless you are considering any really sensitive species.

If you started using rain water, dare I say this, but what happens if we have a drought? No rain for months in the summer?

I don't think using tap water should cause you any problems.

And water changes will not cause too much trouble?

I wouldn't of thought so unless, as I said, you are aiming to keep sensitive species. If this is the case then I would presume RO/Tap mix would be a safer route than rainwater.

Your Eleocharis won't be too bothered about your PH. You have many more exciting challenges ahead like flow and co2 distribution to be worrying too much about the PH. It's not considered so much of a big deal as it was 20 years ago.

Ok, thanks for the help :)

Back