• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shoaling fish

curefan

Hi,
Im setting up my new 560L tank soon and am looking for some suggestions for good small shoaling fish. I know Harlequins shoal well but im not mad on them.
Ive already decided im going to put in a shoal of Rummy nose Tetra.
Seemingly Green Neon Tetra shoal very well......Anyone have any experience with these?? :?:
I was thinking of getting about 40 of them!

Cheers, Dave.

i have a shoal of these in my tank at present and yes they shoal very well and stay really small

heres mine

Thanks for the vids lads...a pic is a thousand words :thumbup:

So it looks like ill need lots of Rummys and maybe at least 60 Green Neons! :crazy:

Espei rasbora (narrow wedge harlequins) shoal quite well & are smaller and more attractive than standard harlequins.

I used to have green neons - lovely fish, but they weren't great at shaoling.

What about some Denison barbs? They are really cool and mine certainly school. I have had some problems with their digestion and have lost a few, but they are seriously cool fish. The red and yellow flashes go nicely against a green background.

I must say that Denison barbs are just about my favourite fish, yes they are quite large growing to about 150mm.
They have become endangered in the wild but are now farm bred & readily available, unfortunately most are bought in two or threes & then put into a small community tank!
But these fish are rarely kept in suitable conditions, they are subtropical herbivores from fast-flowing streams.
Perhaps you could think about a tank of Denisons & another subtropical fish like Zebra Danios?

I actually had Denison barbs before....nice looking fish, but they did grow a bit too big for my liking. I also found them to be a very nervous fish when you went anywhere near the tank.

Ember Tetras- I've got a shoot of 30 in my 450 and they always shoal with each other. Small fish but lovely colours.
I agree about the rummys, and found they tend to shoal less once comfortable on their surroundings. Same with cardinals too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back