• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shallow emersed tank and aquaponics light

seeking_light

Hi!
I scored one of those dooa shallow tanks and would want to try building one of those indoor swampy-looking things.

I'd love to keep things budget and the current issue are the lights. In the ideal world, I'd get something resembling the ONF Flat Nano but stumbled upon this IKEA NYSÄTTRA aquaponic set going next to nothing. The lights bracket is simple to disassemble and mount onto a board that would house the tank.

Pros:
  • Cheap, like £20 for the whole thing
  • Looks quite nice? Silver, nice plastic, good looking bracket
  • I quite like that it's not a spot-like light and would match the size of the tank well

Cons:
  • The only stat mentioned is "3500 Kelvin" with no info on wattage. I would assume that those herb gardens need something reasonable but my more experienced buddy thought it would be most likely underpowered
  • The built-in timer has a single 16h setting. Is this too much?

Is this an ok idea? Am I wasting my time? What other cool-looking lights can I get for around £50 or below?

Attachments

• dooa-neo-glass-air-w30xd18xh12-cm_614576f6e111a.jpeg
    dooa-neo-glass-air-w30xd18xh12-cm_614576f6e111a.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 35
  • nysaettra-growing-set-white__1157724_pe887822_s5.jpeg
    nysaettra-growing-set-white__1157724_pe887822_s5.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0379_grande.jpeg
    IMG_0379_grande.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi!
I scored one of those dooa shallow tanks and would want to try building one of those indoor swampy-looking things.

I'd love to keep things budget and the current issue are the lights. In the ideal world, I'd get something resembling the ONF Flat Nano but stumbled upon this IKEA NYSÄTTRA aquaponic set going next to nothing. The lights bracket is simple to disassemble and mount onto a board that would house the tank.

Pros:
  • Cheap, like £20 for the whole thing
  • Looks quite nice? Silver, nice plastic, good looking bracket
  • I quite like that it's not a spot-like light and would match the size of the tank well

Cons:
  • The only stat mentioned is "3500 Kelvin" with no info on wattage. I would assume that those herb gardens need something reasonable but my more experienced buddy thought it would be most likely underpowered
  • The built-in timer has a single 16h setting. Is this too much?

Is this an ok idea? Am I wasting my time? What other cool-looking lights can I get for around £50 or below?
You missed it in the manual:
ikeahydro.JPG

Thank you! Somehow stupidly missed it...

Any thoughts on the suitability of the light for the job?
There are 5 sizes from 8 to 30cm deep
Your tank is 30x18x12 and the light is 40cm long.
A bit off dimensionally.
Max height 17" Tank height is 4.7". Does that include the base?

The higher up the light the less light in the tank.
The " usual" light used.
Power Consumption: 15W
Lumens: 1300lm
LED Type: 60 pcs
Color Temp: 7000K
9" wide 8" tall.

As to aesthetics your light is much warmer than the ONF.
There are some more " controllable" lights out there though if it has a ac/ dc converter you can usually hack the dc side and add a timer controller but no color adjustments.
Micmole Prism comes to mind as to a color tunable one.
You would need to diy a mount possibly.

So bottom line except for the wide size and warm color temp should work fine.
At least I'm not seeing a real problem except light spill.

So bottom line except for the wide size and warm color temp should work fine.
At least I'm not seeing a real problem except light spill.
4.7" is with the base, the tank itself is around 3.5 deep. The overhang of the lights is indeed something to consider.

Does the warms have much impact other than the aesthetics? I suspect "yes but it's complicated"

4.7" is with the base, the tank itself is around 3.5 deep. The overhang of the lights is indeed something to consider.

Does the warms have much impact other than the aesthetics? I suspect "yes but it's complicated"
Considering you aren't "raising crops" of any kind yea mostly aesthetics.

Back