• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape Settled in but still not there yet...

PBM3000

Here's my Roma 240 after about a year of settling in after a complete sub change (from brick red to black/grey). I've learned (often the hard way) that patience is key to plants and to let things take their course.

• Moss (Fissidens) bought from a member here doing well despite SAE efforts to munch on it.
• Still the odd spot of GSA here and there, particularly on the Anubias, but I've learned to just live with it. I've given up scrubbing the Seiryu stones.

I've also learned that we'll NEVER be 100% happy with our scapes! :artist: I'd like some suggestions on how to break up the light greens here - perhaps some Bucephalandra? Also maybe how to introduce some height variation as I feel it's a little flat and low along the back.

Filtration: Eheim 350 4e at 35% flow + Fluval 306 (mainly acting as a siphon to polish the water).
Lighting: Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0 - 7.5hrs daily.
Temp: 25C.
Ferts: 20ml APF daily, less rest day.
CO2: Liquid 'Neutro CO2' - 7ml daily.
Routine: 50% water change (tap) weekly. Each filter rinsed out every six weeks.

Critique - and questions - on any aspect of this tank welcome.

IMG_5493a.jpg

IMG_5490b.jpg

Any tips on how to get this green again? Too much light?
IMG_5492c.jpg

IMG_5491d.jpg

PBM

First impression.

Its a very neat and tidy well planted tank which is very easy to sit down and relax with.
Presented extremely well no distractions on or around your tank

I've learned (often the hard way) that patience is key to plants and to let things take their course.
You can practically control everything in you tank except the plants it's very difficult trying to control nature.

I've also learned that we'll NEVER be 100% happy with our scapes!
You should aim higher and be very pleased what you have done its in your home so enjoy it and learn as you go. Its called tweaking as it ages.

My first comment would be you have your inlet and outlet at the same end by doing that you are not getting the best out of your water movement.

Routine: 50% water change (tap) weekly. Each filter rinsed out every six weeks.
I would change that to 35% twice a week plus a monthly filter cleaning.

Where is the heater/s? I would like to see a heater at each end reason being when one breaks down (which they do) you have a back up working up the opposite end.

Also maybe how to introduce some height variation as I feel it's a little flat and low along the back.
Here is a very old trick and it is not seen and takes up practically no room. Place a strip of glass or clear plastic at the back of the tank to act as a retaining wall for the extra substrate to give you the required height. The plants in front of it will certainly hide the wall. Rocks can be used but its a waste of good planting space.

Keith :wave::wave:

PBM

My first comment would be you have your inlet and outlet at the same end by doing that you are not getting the best out of your water movement.
I was told that 'same end' was the way forward? :eek:

I would change that to 35% twice a week plus a monthly filter cleaning.
Would do more often but I'm limited with time. Current regime fits in very well with my working shift pattern.

Where is the heater/s? I would like to see a heater at each end reason being when one breaks down (which they do) you have a back up working up the opposite end.
It's an external Hydor. House temp is 21-22C all year round so I'm not too concerned if I lose it. I have boxed spares if it happens. Cardinals would get the chills for a bit but they'd survive it I'm sure.

Here is a very old trick and it is not seen and takes up practically no room. Place a strip of glass or clear plastic at the back of the tank to act as a retaining wall for the extra substrate to give you the required height. The plants in front of it will certainly hide the wall. Rocks can be used but its a waste of good planting space.
If I were to do that now, might it not be difficult to insert through the roots? I did start the tank with plastic inserts to build height but they eventually exposed themselves (ooh-err!). Photos don't show it but sub at front is about 1.5" deep and 4-6" at the back.

Thanks for the critique and suggestions. Re: CO2, I'd like to get round to using gas at some point but I'm concerned about adding 'something else to go wrong'!

I'm currently looking to get either an Aqua One AquaNano 80, and ADA 60 or a TMC Sig 600 to replace the 22l nano I have upstairs for my shrimp but can't find them anywhere in stock.

Cheers. :)

PBM3000

I was told that 'same end' was the way forward?

I think I have been doing Aquarium Forums for close to 20 years now and I don't think I have ever seen that.
By having it at one end you do not get a full water movement as out one end and in the other end.

If time is the factor just do the best you can.

Keith:wave::wave:

I love crypts when they are brown with the tortoiseshell patterning. Mine are all shades of brown in my tank and I run high light.

Back